Guys... I finally made my Midwife uncomfortable (Weight Gain)

DJMooMoo79

Reaction score
So i noticed at my past appointments, that I had been gaining weight FAST. And I kept bringing it up to my midwife each appointment in which she explained it was "normal" and I had nothing to worry about since I was on a diet plan right before getting pregnant, and suddenly stopping it was the main culprit. Which I agree, but also dont think I should just be given a diminished look. I mean, I am GAINING weight.

So if been just continuing along normally, until my last appointment. I had gained 8 lbs in 4 weeks! I am now 24 weeks and have gained 23 pounds in this pregnancy. As always, she checks my chart, and I can tell the exact moment she sees my weight gain, she starts to stumble on her words, closes the folder and gives me a thoughful look. And I can see clear embarrassment in her words when she finally said , "Well... maybe we should start changing a few things..."

I finally made my midwife give me the diet talk. I dont know why I couldnt have just done it on my own when I knew my weight was escalating, but having a health provider tell me to slow down on the donuts made me so relieved. So wish me luck!

Just to be clear, shes not asking me to loose weight, she just doesnt want me to gain anymore. At first she was concerned it was possibly a health condition related to pregnancy, but I fessed up and owned up to the 6000 calories i have been consuming daily.

Any ladies want to be "diet" buddies or at least "watch what I eat" buddies?

I will definitely join in! I've gained about 19lbs and I'm 26 weeks. I carried both previous pregnancies really small and had no stretch marks. I feel like I'm so much bigger this time and worried about how much further I've got to go! MW says my bump is quite big for my size (pre oreg size 10) but that it's because it's my 3rd. Baby is measuring on the smaller side but so did previous two. I know I've gained more than I should and that I've been so tired and busy I've eaten crap. This thread might help me to make some better decisions!

Me, I am allot earlier than you, will be 15 weeks on monday & 12lbs up already few things contributed,

1) meds was on for ivf 6 estrogen tablets per day and prontogest injections both which find do gain weight on off estrogen now and stopping prontogest

2) food aversions and nausea was eating carby food like bread pasta only which balloons me also snacking more as got nauseated more hungry lucky stopped now (although still cant eat as well as did before still of lots of foods)

3) I also had a subchronic hematoma which meant i needed to be on modified bed rest so went from walking lots to nothing.

Hoping to bring things to a halt try not gain anymore than another 12lb by the end but scared going keep going up as it has xx

ah im definitely gonna join!

I always had hard time losing weight so when doctor said i have pcos, and insulin resistance, it all made sense. I did pcos diet and took metformin for 8 months before pregnancy and lost 8kgs. Pcos diet is like no dairy, no sugar, low complex carbs only, limit 2 fruits a day.

So when i got pregnant, i stopped my diet and had to stop metformin after 12 weeks. So my doctor was expecting a weight gain after these changes. After stopping metformin, i gained like 5-6pounds in matter of days.

At my 20 weeks appointment, my doc told me to lower the carbs and slow down my weight gain. So i decided to cut dairy and sugar and lower the carb intake but still im gaining at least 2 pounds per week.

Long story short here is how my weight gain goes
@ 12 weeks 0kgs
@14 weeks 3kgs
@23 weeks so far i gained total of 12kgs:dohh::blush:

So whats our game plan? I entered in my calories for couple days, its around 1500-1800 so i dont think calorie is my problem:nope:

Im almost 18weeks and put on 6lbs already but seeing as i was 185lbs when i got pregnant my doctor doesn't want me putting on to much weight during my pregnancy. He said i should only put on another 10 or so from now to delivery that sounds almost impossible unless i starve myself. So i guess here's to healthy eating being accountable and making sure im doing what I'm supposed to be doing!

Speaking from non pregnant experience and as someone who has experience of managing to keep the weight off, the biggie for me was portion control! I was fed up as I'd gone from being quite skinny to borderline overweight when I was at University. So I decided to take action and rather than dieting, decided it'd be better to overhaul how I eat and what I eat. I was shocked to find out how many grams of food I'd actually been eating v what I thought! And it made me realise no wonder I couldn't loose weight (I have no medical reason for not doing). For example, cereal. Guideline calories on a packet in the UK are for 35g. When I weighed that out, it barely fills the bottom of the bowl! I'd been eating more like 100g at least! And the same happened the more food I weighed! Also, food packaging is misleading. The calories on the side are often for half the bag or half the drink or half the chocolate bar and makes you think you've eaten way less calories than you have!

It was all quite a revelation to me but now, a few years later, my BMI is a healthy 20 and my weight is pretty static. I've managed to change my view on what is a normal portion and eat much better.

I was def eating portions for two and I wasn't even pregnant! So could be worth checking out what you are actually consuming v what you think if you are struggling! Plus, my doc said you actually only need 300 extra calories a day and that's really only in the third trimester! :-o that's like two slices of toast with spread. Not much at all. I was really surprised and also quite disappointed :)

Pregnancy is tough though, I've lived of carbs this whole first trimester so my healthy eating has gone completely outta the window! and sometimes, I'm so hungry I have to eat. No choice in the matter!

Good luck ladies, most importantly you are happy & healthy!

I actually find eating smaller portions easier with this pregnancy i also find it easier to just eat until i am full. I just find pasta is easiest to stomach, so im trying switch to eating whole grain aswell as low fat sauces. And i give my house a full cleaning everyday as my exercise cause with three kids its impossible to actually go out and work out lol. With my other three i was already up 20lbs at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->