Had a small bump - they're claiming all kinds!!

baby25102011

Stay Strong
Reaction score
Damage to my car ...

He's claiming his car is economically irreparable and injury.
After the crash I went straight to work no hosp, docs or garage :shrug:

Will they be able to prove he's just being greedy?

:cry:

EDIT: pic won't let me upload but it's so minimal it's ridiculous!
It's up - Just above my number plate.

Attachments

• DSCN0328 (2).jpg
    DSCN0328 (2).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 86
Nope!

But a police officer witnessed the crash and even said we both only had cosmetic damage.

I've traced the officer but can't speak to him til Friday when he's back in work.

If you have a police officer who saw the damage, he surely hasn't a leg to stand on. Your insurers will refute the inflated claim, they see this lind of thing all the time, and hopefully the police officer took notes and can back you up.

This happened to me. A tiny tiny bump at 2mph but he had a £30k BMW and got me on the insurance for a new paint job for £2k :cry: Had photos too but because it was me who bumped him he got away with saying his car was damaged when it wasn't. Doesn't mean you shouldn't fight it as hard as you can though!

he might not be making it up though. we had a small bump nearly two years ago and even though it only appeared to be cosmetic damage, when we had our car checked out the crumple zones behind the bumper on our car had been damaged ( this could not be seen from the outside) and so we had to have the whole bumper replaced. so just because you couldnt see damage doesnt mean it wasnt there. he will also have had to take the car somewhere to be looked at and its unlikely theyll have lied if he has had work done.
with regards to the injury, yes its unlikely but if the person had a pre existing condition it could have been made worse etc
of course on the other hand he could be totally lying just to get a pay out but with things like this you never can tell. our case still isnt sorted and we'll likely end up having to take the woman that hit us to court so be prepared for the lenghty process

I had a bump when I was 17 the car didn't look all that bad and we managed to drive it home, it was a write off because to properly repair it (the.....chassi?) the amount of work to remove engine, put back in etc was more than my little N reg fiesta was worth lol.

If it's being done through insurance I thought it didn't really matter to you what he is claiming (I've never had an accident that's my fault though) another bump I had the insurance company was trying to get me to claim injury and all sorts, they even made me take thee courtesy car even though I really didn't want it because "it was how they recouped their costs....." ?!

I had an accident 6 years ago - idiot biker speeding as he was coming into 20mph zone. It was dark and when I looked he was way up the road so I went to turn down the road and he was suddenly embedding his bike in the side of my car! Completely wrote off my car! He stood up walked away and refused an ambulance -he said he was fine at the time. A week later I had a call from the policeman who came to the scene, turns out it was his 1st traffic accident and he hadnt spoken to or taken any statements from any of the witnesses who all said the guy was speeding, and as there was no cameras there my insurance company said it wasn't worth they're while to fight the claim as i'd turned so was in his path therefore was technically my fault!
The swine had claimed for all sorts of injuries and had a £14000 pay out!!
Its only been this year that my car insurance has just comeback down to a reasonable cost.

There is no way that the police officer can say that it's only cosmetic damage. The only way that you can tell how damaged it is is by getting it checked out at the garage.
He will have to provide at least one quote from a garage and most likely the insurance company will send someone out to assess the damage too.

OH has a crash last Friday evening - it was the other drivers fault - we have had the damage assessed by two garages already - one has said it may well be a right off and the other has given us a price of £1000 plus parts, so possibly a write off as the car isn't really worth that much. However when you look at the car it doesn't really look that much is damaged apart from the bumper.

IRO the claim for injuries - that's also something specific to the person. My OH had back pain the day after his crash but it's gone now and hasn't affected him enough to bother claiming for injuries.

I had a collison in November, at like 10mph and the van that cut me off pulled my bumper and bonnet........I though it would be simple but it had disconnected a lot of stuff under the bonnet and cracked clips ..............car was BER as it was work 2k and well, the guy only read out the list till he til 2.2k and said no point in reading any further.

However we were not hurt in any way. Guy is disputing it saying I drove into him - which I didn't, I just tried to keep the car from mounting the pavement and hitting the pedestrians on it - which I would have had to do to avoid him, and pretty sure life comes before metal.

Anyway..........how fast were you going? and to me that looks a bit like a tow bar mark.

As frustrating as it is your insurance company will pay his alleged injury to mitigate costs. The police officer is unlikely to have any bearing on whether your insurer pay for injury as he isn't a medical expert and there was obviously an impact.

Sorry your going through this xx

I didn't think him claiming would make much effect on you personally other than your premiums going up? I could be wrong.

I didn't think him claiming would make much effect on you personally other than your premiums going up? I could be wrong.

This is what I thought I didn't realise the extent of the accident made a difference?

This is what I thought I didn't realise the extent of the accident made a difference?

And it may not even really increase your premium much! Mine only went up £60 a year until it is resolved.

I was going about 3 mph ...

I know I'm actually hoping the insurance company don't think that same but I kinda thought since someone else seen that the bump and damage wasn't bad it might go someone way in proving the fella is lying - got a feeling he's probably took a hammer to his car!!

I always thought it would make a difference what type of claim it was ... I shall ask when I speak to them though. Even then I'm not going to be happy that someone is making stuff up. Feel awful that potentially I have hurt someone but deep down I know there's no way I have - look how pregnant I am and I didn't even get checked out or injured yet 2 days after he's, presumably, already been the doctors his injuries are so bad ..

How much did it go up after it was resolved Abz?

I might try signing over my car to my partner and having insurance in his name if it goes up too much.

Knew I should of paid to protect no claims.

:flower:

I know I'm actually hoping the insurance company don't think that same but I kinda thought since someone else seen that the bump and damage wasn't bad it might go someone way in proving the fella is lying - got a feeling he's probably took a hammer to his car!!

I always thought it would make a difference what type of claim it was ... I shall ask when I speak to them though. Even then I'm not going to be happy that someone is making stuff up. Feel awful that potentially I have hurt someone but deep down I know there's no way I have - look how pregnant I am and I didn't even get checked out or injured yet 2 days after he's, presumably, already been the doctors his injuries are so bad ..

I might try signing over my car to my partner and having insurance in his name if it goes up too much.

Its still not resolved - the witness hasn't sent back statement and the pub that has the cctv has not handed it over.........despite 4 requests and them confirming to me they would have it recorded. I am actually thinking of going into the bar to speak to them as I want this resolved! It was a company van that the collision was with and so I doubt it would affect their insurance that much, its probably more the individual thats the issue.

Its still not resolved - the witness hasn't sent back statement and the pub that has the cctv has not handed it over.........despite 4 requests and them confirming to me they would have it recorded. I am actually thinking of going into the bar to speak to them as I want this resolved! It was a company van that the collision was with and so I doubt it would affect their insurance that much, its probably more the individual thats the issue.

I would definatley go in yourself!! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->