Had early scan, need rescan for viability, help! Baby measuring small

EllenEmily

Reaction score
I had an early private scan on Wednesday 21st feb (4 days ago)z
In my notes it says that there were faint FH movements seen, the CRL llength was 1.5mm, a yolk sac was seen and a fetal pole, and the GS is 15.2mm.

She wanted me to come back for a rescanfor viability, I’m confused as to why? I saw a heartbeat..

My last Menstrual period was 31st dec, so on the day of the scan I should of been 7w 4 days. She said it was looking more like beginning of 6 weeks,So it was measuring small.. however is it possible that I ovulated late? Because I first tested when my period was 3 days late and I could hardly see a line, it didn’t fully darken till a week late..

Can anyone else give me hope? I can’t stop worrying and this is my first pregnancy.

I thought I was 6 weeks exactly, but when I went for my first scan no fetal pole was visible, just GS and yolk sac. I had a follow up scan 8 days later, and there was a fetal pole and heartbeat was flickering, but they said I'm probably 6-7 weeks. I had a scan with my son at 7 and a half weeks and he was much bigger on the scan than this pregnancy.

I had very faint lines also and it was only a week after AF was late that I had some pretty decent BFP lines.

I would say you had late ovulation/implantation. Plus at this early, it's harder to tell how far along you really are. Babies can suddenly catch up on growth, just like babies outside of the womb, they all grow at their own speed. Beginning of 6 weeks can sometimes be difficult to see the heartbeat properly, so maybe it's just to double check, even if a flicker was seen at the time. For peace of mind I guess!

Please try not to worry xxx

How many days after your last period did you get a BFP? If you ovulated late, or have longer cycles than normal you would have got a BFP later than the normal 28 day cycle. My lmp was the 16th of November - I didn’t get a BFP until the 20th of December - 5 weeks later and a week after I should have got my period if I had a standard 28 day cycle - because I ovulated really late. So when I went for an early scan at what I thought was six weeks, they saw nothing as I was only actually 4.5 weeks. A week later they saw a sac but no hb (5.5 weeks), then 10 days after that they saw a heartbeat. So by that time I was 7 weeks.
I hope it’s all okay for you.

How many days after your last period did you get a BFP? If you ovulated late, or have longer cycles than normal you would have got a BFP later than the normal 28 day cycle. My lmp was the 16th of November - I didn’t get a BFP until the 20th of December - 5 weeks later and a week after I should have got my period if I had a standard 28 day cycle - because I ovulated really late. So when I went for an early scan at what I thought was six weeks, they saw nothing as I was only actually 4.5 weeks. A week later they saw a sac but no hb (5.5 weeks), then 10 days after that they saw a heartbeat. So by that time I was 7 weeks.
I hope it’s all okay for you.

I got my BFP 35 days after my LMP, my cycle length is average of 31 days..
Can you please try make sense of that so I can stop worrying? I can’t do numbers.. she said I looked more like 5/6 weeks.. the rescan is in 4 days so I will update. The app said I should of ovulated on the 17th Jan.. but I don’t know how accurate that is. I keep crying at the thought the baby is dead in me. I took a test again today and it’s still a blazing positive, I think myself worrying is only going to make things worse

Ok so, if my period math is right (!) you got your BFP on the 4th of Feb - which was faint. So if we say you were 10dpo (although keep in mind you can get a BFP at 7dpo, which would make you even earlier), you would have ovulated around the 26th of jan. so your period should start 14 days before that (according to average cycle length) which would put your first day of period at about the 12th of Jan. So following an average cycle, if you started your period on the 12 of Jan, you would be able 6+2 today. So at your scan Wednesday you would have been about 5 weeks 5 days, which is right on what she said. Plus that’s give or take about 3 days because of the 10dpo being a worst case scenario, plus scans that early can be out by more than a week (and that’s internal scans which I’m assuming that’s what yours was). If all these dates are right then you’re really lucky to have seen a heartbeat at all as often you don’t see one til closer to 7 weeks!
Hope that makes you feel a bit better - I know this is so hard but I’ve got my fingers crossed for you! Just focus on taking it one day at a time and try to look forward to seeing the little bean again soon. It’s so hard not knowing whether to get your hopes up or not, and there’s nothing that makes it easier.

It sounds like you just ovulated later, everything else about the scan sounds very positive!

My earliest scan was at 5+4 with my first. He was 2mm long with fetal heartrate seen.

I think it sounds like you ovulated late. I have shorter cycles (25 days) and I ovulated really early this time so I got dated a week ahead.

Ok so, if my period math is right (!) you got your BFP on the 4th of Feb - which was faint. So if we say you were 10dpo (although keep in mind you can get a BFP at 7dpo, which would make you even earlier), you would have ovulated around the 26th of jan. so your period should start 14 days before that (according to average cycle length) which would put your first day of period at about the 12th of Jan. So following an average cycle, if you started your period on the 12 of Jan, you would be able 6+2 today. So at your scan Wednesday you would have been about 5 weeks 5 days, which is right on what she said. Plus that’s give or take about 3 days because of the 10dpo being a worst case scenario, plus scans that early can be out by more than a week (and that’s internal scans which I’m assuming that’s what yours was). If all these dates are right then you’re really lucky to have seen a heartbeat at all as often you don’t see one til closer to 7 weeks!
Hope that makes you feel a bit better - I know this is so hard but I’ve got my fingers crossed for you! Just focus on taking it one day at a time and try to look forward to seeing the little bean again soon. It’s so hard not knowing whether to get your hopes up or not, and there’s nothing that makes it easier.

I just checked, I got the very faint BFP on the 3rd feb... also I last had sex on the 20th of January. Then I didn’t see him since.. I’m not sure how long sperm lives etc , when is the absolute latest I could of conceived and then implanted etc?

Thanks, I hope i just ovulated late! Yours was still bigger than mine, mines 1.5mm, I just have a gut feeling that on the rescan on Wednesday she is going to say that the hearts stopped beating and it stopped growing.. I’m so pessimistic,

Surely the fact there was a heartbeat seen is a reassuring sign though?

Sperm can stay inside you for up to five days - so you could have conceived on anything up to the 25th of Jan, which would still be about right. Even if you conceived on the 20th, the scans this early can be out a week if the measurement is out by a mm, so don’t give up hope completely. Honestly I know it’s so hard - I have been sobbing in the shower while bleeding, getting ready to go to the hospital absolutely convinced this pregnancy was over, but so far, touch wood even though so many things have suggested the worst, luckily it’s still okay. I do think in some ways it’s better to be pessimistic as I didn’t want to get my hopes up for a massive fall, but I really hope it’s okay for you.

UPDATE: had scan today everything is fine, I’m measuring 8w 1 day, baby is 16.27mm compared with 1.8mm last time, grown loads!!with a heart rate of 161bpm... I’m going to stay off this forum
Because I read too many bad stories and it scares me more x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"