Had our 20 week scan and an issue was found[Updated]

samzi

mummy to issy,alice&luke
Reaction score
with one of little boy's kidneys. I've got to go to Birmingham Womens Hospital next Thursday for a more detailed scan.
Trying not to worry too much but it's hard. I've been pretty good and havent googled any of the words they wrote down.

Now we just have to wait to see what next week's scan says.

I've got not specific advice but I hope everything turns out well. I had my first 2 at birmingham women - I had growth issues with DS1, but they where excellent with their antenatal, delivery and postnatal care. You will be in really great hands, they are very thorough and knowledgable.
I wish I could go back there and have this baby there to! Hope everything turns out well xx

Hi hun.
I had the same. He has a duplex kidney which was picked up on 20 week scan and diagnosed at scan 4 weeks later.
Ive been having scans every 4 weeks since with fetal medicine to keep an eye on fluids and also to make sure his bladder is filling and emptying as it should be.
Im not sure if this is what your lo will be diagnosed with but if it is please dont worry. Kidney issues are alot more common with boys and most can resolve themselves!
All thats needed after birth for my lo will be a scan and antibiotics just to prevent him getting an infection in his better kidney :) as for what happens after that im not sure but ill find out soon enough!
xx

Thankyou for the reply :)

Hi Samzi, just want to send you some positive thoughts and wish you luck hun. Good for you for not googling things. That is hard and can also make you feel worse. Hang in there! :hugs:

Tomorrow is the day and I'm nervous. The good thing is we will find out after the scan how bad the problem is, so no waitng days/weeks for answers.

So yesterday was the day.
Basically his left kidney doesn't work at all. So he's just functioning on one. So far so good, there are no fluid issues, there is the right amount there should be, no more or less. I'm going to get given regular scans to check on the fulid levels and to make sure the working kidney is still doing its job/working properly. Then when he is born he will get given antibiotics for the non working kidney to make sure he gets no infection in it, and then later on at some point they will decide if it's best to take the other kidney out or leave it in.

So yeah, a load of info thrown at us yesterday. Another thing they said, is because of this problem, the risk of DS is much higher.There was a 1 in 18,000 chance when I had my blood test earlier on in pregnancy, and now it's gone to 1 in a 100. He has no other issues so I'm not concerned about that tbh. What will be will be, nothing I can do to change it.

As long as his other kidney is working fine and your fluid levels stay normal you should be fine. The later scans they will do will be to keep and eye on the good kidney and also the one not working. They also check to make sure bladder is filling and emptying as it should.
Im being induced on my due date due my lo's kidney as they want to scan him and he will be given antibiotics aswell.
When I was informed I was told that most of the time, the body will recognise that the kidney isnt working and can sometimes dissolve itself by the age of 5 therefor not needing any surgery to remove it.
Please bear in mind how many thousands and thousands of people are walking around with just one kidney.
If you want to message me at any point please feel free to do so :) xx

This is what it's called https://www.infokid.org.uk/MCDK
The first and only time i've googled about it so I don't need to do it again.

Hello :wave:

I'm not sure on non-functioning kidneys (my son has scarring and hydronephrosis) but I am in Facebook groups with a lot of women who's sons only have one kidney and it's definitely not all doom and gloom, so many of them do fantastically with one or one non-functioning kidney :flower:

No dont rely on google hun!
You should have frequent scans, Ive been scanned every 4 weeks, to keep an eye on things as I said before and they are wanting to scan lo once he's born so just try and relax until he has his scan once born :)
as long as fluid levels stay normal then there shouldnt really be anything to worry about as it means the good kidney is doing its job!
X

I've a growth scan on the 27th and no doubt they will check on how his working kidney is doing etc. I know I'm gonna be a nervous wreck even though I probably have no reason to be.

Good luck for your scan tomorrow!
Will get back on and check for an update as soon as I can :)
Please relax...they will check a few other measurement's and then continue to look more in depth at the kidneys x

Scan went well. No fluid issues and going by measurement calculations he's just under 3 and a half lbs at the moment. I'm having scans every 3 weeks to keep an eye on the levels and stuff so that's good. 20th March is my next one, I'l be 31+5

Next scan tomorrow morning. Hopefully things will still be the same.

Oops, I forgot to update. Ive since had one more. The one I had before the latest one went well, all still going fine. The one last week showed lower fluid levels but only just. I've another in 2 weeks to check it again and we will decide whether il be trying vbac or having a planned section. I'm hoping for the former even though I'm nervous :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->