Had to go back to the consultant again today.. AGH! Will I ever get my homebirth??

Eliza_V

Wife and Mummy!
Reaction score
Hi ladies

As you know I've been arguing my case for a homebirth, and everyone seems to be finding reasons to not have one. Anyway, after having my heart looked at again (I got transferred from general consultant-led antenatal clinic to a combined cardio clinic and was discharged from high-risk care; plus I've been made to see my old cardiologist who has agreed that everything is fine.. The "abnormality" in my heart won't cause any problems, and yes I have tachycardia so my HR is always over 100bpm at resting but it's always been like that so they weren't concerned..) so I was surprised when I had a letter asking me to go back to the consultant-led antenatal clinic for a review. I thought it was an admin error (not being discharged out of the first clinic correctly when I changed) but I went along anyway as my midwife is useless to get an answer out of (practically had to drag "ok" out of her for a homebirth te other week despite having discharge letters from cardio clinic in my hand) so I figured I could ask any questions to these guys, plus get a prescription for some stronger anti-emetics :thumbup:

It felt like an ambush. The consultant (who was lovely, which makes this harder) said that I was back because I was initially having my heart looked at, but when I showed her I'd been discharged she then said "Oh well you want a home birth, and if you want a home birth you HAVE to see a consultant first :wacko: Then all of the "as you know there are risks involved.." etc etc.

She started saying that although I'm not considered high-risk anymore, I'm "not low-risk" and because of that she wants me to consider a hospital birth. I kept asking "Why?", and she was saying that because of my tachycardia (it was 111bpm at rest today, which is fairly normal for me) that HR would obviously go up during pushing and that they would transfer me to hospital anyway cause of how high it would be (I've had problems with this before during Physiology practicals at Uni - it would easily hit 180bpm after 5 mins on the exercise bike and I was not allowed to participate in practical investigations.. Yet it's always been normal for me). I said if they looked in my notes they'd see that it was normal for me! She said the midwife would find it hard to judge whether it was actually "normal" or if I was in any danger, and at what point should she say I've been pushing for too long and am putting a strain my heart and need help.. :S If I was struggling, I would say! I was trying to explain to them that I'm not a bloody martyr, if I was getting out of breath or felt like I wasn't coping, I would much rather transfer to hospital rather than take the risk of hurting the baby (same if the baby was showing any signs of distress, I wouldn't argue. But I wan't to TRY). So she said she wants me to come BACK for more monitoring to "see if my heart rate changes" to get a better idea of what my "limit" should be during labour, and how long I should be "allowed" to push or what mr HR should be "allowed" to go to IF a homebirth was to be considered (but similar stuff would be done even if I was to be in hospital anyway, probably so they can pull the baby out before she's ready) :dohh:

Anyway, I was making it clear that I would be more comfortable (thus making my HR lower!) if I could try at home. I wanted a waterbirth, I don't want to be seperated from my husband, and I don't want to be an unfamiliar environment with unnecessary medical intervention and being against the clock. She then started suggesting I consider the midwife-led unit with a 6-hour discharge after birth where I won't leave the labour ward (thus my husband doesn't leave my side).. I said I won't consider come in unless I can be in the water - so she said that it could be arranged although that won't be in the MLU, but I could still have the 6-hour discharge HOWEVER the criteria is much stricter as me and the baby "can't be continuously monitored" .. I said I don't want that anyway!! She started saying that if I don't match the criteria then I may be allowed to labour in the water but not birth in the water so they can monitor my HR and babys HR during the pushing stage.. I'm petrified of a dry birth though. (And how can they guarantee I can be gone in 6 hours? What if I give birth in the night and there's no doctors to check the baby over before I leave, and the labour ward is busy so they turf me to post-natal??) I said I wouldn't even consider any of the above unless they can guarantee I won't be shoved onto the post-natal ward (unless of course of an emergency which means necessary intervention, like baby getting stuck or EMCS etc) and I can AT LEAST labour in the water (although I'll be fighting for the full water birth) and not to be monitored continuously.

But before that, I will still be fighting for a homebirth and she knows that. Once again, I reminded her that I'm not an idiot or a martyr, and I feel that I'm struggling (not what the HR monitor says, currently it would think I'm doing mild exercise) or if the baby is struggling, then I won't argue about a transfer. But I'm so angry that I've got to go back when I'm 34 weeks - especially if she STILL hasn't got an answer, as I've got to pay for the birth pool at 36 weeks (to be delivered at 37 weeks) or I lose the booking!! :( She's told me she's writing to my midwife to tell her that she hasn't OK-ed a homebirth yet :( But I'm hoing that they'll see at the next appointment that this raised HR is normal, and they'll extend their "regulations" to accomodate that; after all it's been classed as a "natural biological variation" as I have fast atrial conduction, and they can't discriminate against that if I have been discharged from the cardio clinic.

Then she casually said "ooh what are you hiding in there" when checking my tummy and that I'm a "good" size for 30 weeks (FH is 32).. MW always said I was measuring ahead, and the scan I had at 22 weeks said I'd have a fairly big baby. I'm just wondering now if I get the OK for my heart (again!!) whether they'll try to use the potential size of the baby as an excuse?

/rantover :flower:

Haven't got enough time for a long response as I have 2 cakes that are calling to be finished by 4pm! But just wanted to say I've had a few things put in my way too and I feel your frustration. I also wanted to say that you don't have to have them 'ok' anything, you can go ahead with what you want to do regardless of what they tell you you can or can't do. I just keep repeating "I'll bear your advice in mind etc.. but I'm still going ahead with my homebirth as planned". :) Still doesn't make it any less frustrating though, especially as the pressure really starts from 36wks when you're most vulnerable.

Thanks :) I just don't want them scaring my husband (or me!) into being somewhere that will, in essence, make me even more scared and make things harder!! Especially if they then send my husband home and turf me onto the disgusting postnatal ward after convincing me to go in to have the 6-hour discharge!

Also I don't want to "homebirth against advice" and then end up being transferred because the MW says I have a high HR - if I'm doing it against advice then they're even less likely to read my notes to see that it's normal for me, and will do everything they can to turf me into the hospital and when they do then I'd be considered high-risk and wont be allowed a waterbirth there surely? :(

Hi -Vixie - it's so annoying isn't it?
I echo what Indigo said - you don't have to go to the consultant's appointment if you decide you don't want/need to. Did the consultant make out that they had to say "ok" to homebirth before the mw could deliver the kit etc? I'm not sure what the official line is on this, or if you just say "I want a homebirth" then will they go ahead? :shrug:

I'm pretty sure it says on my notes "homebirth against advice"!

SmokeyJoe I love seeing your posts as the picture of your bunny rabbit always makes me smile! :)

And to answer the question I don't think they would 'let' you have a waterbirth if you were high risk, but I could be wrong? You could always ask :)

They said that they'd have to "ok" a homebirth basically :/ And they don't deliver a kit according to the MW; after ages of trying to get an answer out of her and asking numerous times if they provide anything she sharply said "If YOu are the one that wants it then YOU have to provide everything."

Oh I forgot to add the consultant kept saying "if anything happens you're soooo far away from the hospital.." :/ I'm not THAT far! Especially by blue light.. ten mins max. They wouldn't be able to get me into theatre in that time.

They wont let me birth in the water if I don't match their "criteria" but MAY let me labour in the water if the pool is free. They have said I'm not high-risk as I've been discharged from the high-risk clinic, but I'm "not low-risk" (well if that's the case then they shouldn't be offering me the home-from-home rooms.. She kept contradicting herself!)

I can do it against advice (for some reason the consultant seemed to assume I wanted to be completely unassisted.. I soon put her right haha) but my worry is that if I do go against advice then they will just transfer me to hospital anyway as they will use my high HR as an excuse - whereas if I can convince them that it's NORMAL for me then they wont transfer me as soon as it goes over 110 or something, as they will be well-informed and expecting it.. iykwim?

I can do it against advice (for some reason the consultant seemed to assume I wanted to be completely unassisted.. I soon put her right haha) but my worry is that if I do go against advice then they will just transfer me to hospital anyway as they will use my high HR as an excuse - whereas if I can convince them that it's NORMAL for me then they wont transfer me as soon as it goes over 110 or something, as they will be well-informed and expecting it.. iykwim?

If that's the case you can have it written on your birth plan that they would read, you can tell birth partner/s aswell, as when in labour you won't want to be arguing, you'll be too busy with having a baby. And then there's the option of just not going if they aren't listening to you, no one can force you into an ambulance.

I'm not sure about this not 'high risk' but not 'low risk' business.. it seems you should fall into one or the other at least for their records, it sounds like they are using each one to suit themselves to me.

I've also not heard of having to provide HB things yourself, in the UK that's what we pay our taxes for isn't it? For the NHS?

Sounds ridiculous, surely if you have your discharge from the cardiologist, then they can't put it in your way. Might be worth the cardiologist writing directly to the consultant, and team of midwives, supervisor of community midwives (and a copy for your notes!) to make clear that the high HR is normal for you and not pathological in and of itself. I see how a midwife who didn't know this might panic though, if called to attend you in labour with no idea of your history. Again, if fully documented in your notes then they're aware of it and can act accordingly (ie. not rush you off to hospital!).

Sounds like you really held your own against the consultant, some nice bargaining going on there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->