Hair Falling out and Breastfeeding Correlation

Grateful365

Very Proud Mommy, #3 OTW!
Reaction score
My hair is falling out like crazy! Huge gobs when I comb my hair. It seems to be getting worse and worse. :wacko: I know I've heard that losing hair is normal for up to 6 months post partum...but I'm wondering if breastfeeding has any correlation as well? I know it takes away a lot of your nutrients/energy etc. Any thoughts or experiences?

My hair fell out to the point I had a receeding hair line, thankfully a year on it has started to grow back. My doctor said it is probably related to breastfeeding/having just given birth/contraception hormones etc

It will grow back!

I have never heard of breastfeeding causing your hair to fall out.. but I have heard of mass shedding due to just having a baby. Your hair usually gets thicker while your pregnant and less hair falls out while your pregnant. Once you have that baby your body goes back to normal. (I know there is more science behind that but thats the main point)

Mine started falling out like crazy around 4 months, but I never went bald :)

Mines still coming out at 6 months. I'd never considered if it was due to breastfeeding. After my son passed away I had the same issue, but I got pregnant 6 months later and got the lovely pregnancy hair again! Wonder how long it will last this time x

It's nothing to do with breastfeeding it's because your hair barely falls out during pregnancy, shedding this hair (and in some cases a bit extra) after birth makes it seem like it's loads. My hair always starts falling out very early on about a month or so after the birth, but by 3-4 months it stops and by 6 months my hair is back to normal. Xx

It happened to me both times but this time if stopped much sooner as I've much less of a receding hair line to show for it. My first was formula fed too so definitely no correlation here.

As others have said, postpartum hair loss is due to the aftereffects of pregnancy, not breastfeeding. Your hormones are going to be in flux after you give birth regardless of how you feed your child. I actually had very little postpartum hair loss and I was nursing around the clock. I think it just depends on your body :shrug:

Thanks ladies for your responses! I figured it didn't have anything to do with breastfeeding but since I know it takes a ton of nutrient, I started to wonder! Lol

Besides my hair falling out, I feel so worn out and tired! I can't blame it on the baby because he sleeps like a dream. Is that most likely caused by hormones too?

Babies are tiring even when they sleep really well :) Throw in the fact that for the past year you have been pregnant or recovering from giving birth, learning to be a mum, plus hormones, you're bound to be tired. Do you try to get out regularly? Just a quick walk can help, if not.

I felt like that until about 5 months with my daughter, I just felt so achey and energyless. It did get better though x

Babies are tiring even when they sleep really well :) Throw in the fact that for the past year you have been pregnant or recovering from giving birth, learning to be a mum, plus hormones, you're bound to be tired. Do you try to get out regularly? Just a quick walk can help, if not.

I work full time so yes I get out regularly...8 hours a day lol :haha: No seriously, I try to get the dog out for a walk when I can but at the moment it is -4 wind chill so I may have to wait a while now.

Just feel so WORN OUT!

I breastfed both of my kids, my son only up to 4 months though due to returning to work. I never lost any hair with my son but I did after having my daughter. I don't think it has anything to do with breastfeeding, only the hormones :flower:

I'm also worn out but I figure it's just from chasing after a little monkey all day long :wacko: :haha: I still take a prenatal vitamin and take an omega 3 pill.

Oh. My doctor told me it was due to breastfeeding! Stupid doctor.

Mine came out at 4-6m pp back to normal now. Totally normal after having a baby x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->