Hand expressing help

twinkletoes14

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Am 40 weeks pregnant and just tried hand expressing for the first time. I could only get some drops of colostrum from one side though. Do you think I just need more practice? Or should I be able to get some from both sides straight away? Any advice appreciated. Thanks xx

You'll only get a drop or two at first. Keep doing it regularly and it will build up. It seems fruitless at first but after a day or so you'll get more. Maybe 2ml per session.

Hi Kanga,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm just concerned it was only one side and hoping that doesn't mean there is a problem with the other side! But like you say, perhaps I just need to build it up? xxx

To get anything is very good indeed. My baby is now 5 days old, must get new ticker, and milk is in. In the hospital I was hand expressing into a syringe and rejoicing at every dr.op. I was having a hard time and taking 40 mins to get 2ml by day 3. Dr ordered formula top ups. Home now, more relaxed, with a handheld manual pump and formula only when necessary and things are looking up.

Persevere if that is what you want to do. Good luck!

I stink at hand expressing and barely get anything. I woukdn't worry about it.

I stink at hand expressing and barely get anything. I woukdn't worry about it.

So do I and I hope I didn't give a different impression. Had bf team with me for 5 hours one day.

I hand expressed in hospital after my LO's birth and got a whopping…wait for it…0.6ml. Yes just 0.6ml, and 2hrs later 0.4ml. This was after my baby had been born, so I think to get anything when pregnant is good. They only have tiny tummies at first so tiny drops go a long way.

Izzie74, I would have loved 2ml in 40minutes!

I hand expressed in hospital after my LO's birth and got a whopping…wait for it…0.6ml. Yes just 0.6ml, and 2hrs later 0.4ml. This was after my baby had been born, so I think to get anything when pregnant is good. They only have tiny tummies at first so tiny drops go a long way.

Izzie74, I would have loved 2ml in 40minutes!

I was Also on the 0.something mls trying to fill a tiny syringe for a day too. Every point increase is a celebration :happydance:

Day 1 I got 0.2ml a time. Day two was about double. Day 3 I was getting at least 1ml a time. Your baby's isn't even born yet and your milk won't come in until after. What you're getting now isn't a reflection of what may happen after birth

Also don't listen to the "I can't express or I'm rubbish at expressing". It's a knack that anyone can grasp. And that everyone who has to grasp, does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->