Hand expressing vs. pumping to substitute feed

AK89

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows whether hand expressing would be good enough to substitute a feed when I'm out and about as opposed to lugging my pump about with me and using that!

Depends on your supply and your body. Some women can pump and get loads, but express and get none, or the opposite. I have a oversupply so hand expressing works fine for me. I can express 5oz from each side (same as pumping). Hand expressing tends to bring my supply up.

I've never tried doing an actual session of hand expressing and measuring it but it does tend to come out pretty quick whn I do it. I've been hand expressing a little bit before my LO latches at night 'cause I've been a bit engorged and I've been worried about a potential foremilk / hindmilk imbalance and so wanted to make sure she wasn't just getting loads of foremilk during her night feeds, and I do seem to be able to get it going quite well with my hand. I sometimes do this to help things along when I'm using my electric pump too, so I think I'm definitely alright at doing it. But would I literally have to empty each boob like I would during a pumping session? Or would I get away with just emptying them a bit so they're not full d'you think?

I did it at work a couple of times when my pump malfunctioned or I forgot a part. I got less than pumping but usually "enough". This only worked when I was EBF, after solids were introduced and nursing reduced, it didn't work as well.

Also, it is a pain. I hated it. It was a lot of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->