Harry David - my little troublemaker... UPDATED POSTNATAL SECTION!

laurajo24

Reaction score
Before I launch into the whole saga, I just want to say how important it is to get checked out if you have the slightest inkling that something is not quite right. It could save you and your babies lives. I was hesitant to bother anybody on a Sunday but I’m forever grateful to my OH who made me call the hospital.

It all started last week when my feet started swelling ridiculously. They were very painful but because I had seen midwife the week before and my blood pressure was fine, I didn’t worry. I had my baby shower on the Saturday (6th feb) which was lovely but I didn’t feel quite right. On the Sunday, my face and hands were really swollen and I had a dull headache coming on. This is when I started to worry. Eventually my OH convinced me to call and the hospital said to come in to get checked out just in case. As we were leaving the house, OH joked about getting the hospital bag. I just wish we’d taken it then!

We got to hospital and were taken into a small room where a lovely midwife and student took my blood pressure and tested my urine. BP was 160/102 and urine was 3+ and the student went white as a sheet. Bless her, it was her first day!
I was immediately put in a wheelchair and wheeled around to high dependency unit which still didn’t have me worried. I was convinced it was a faulty reading or something! Before I knew it, I was being examined, told I was 1cm dilated already and that I was having a catheter, as well as fluids, intravenous BP meds and an arterial line. I was being induced and was confined to the bed. There were 7 dr’s in the room and they all looked very serious.

This is when it hit me and I couldn’t stop shaking. He still had 4 weeks to go and I wasn’t prepared mentally. They inserted the prostin at 6.30pm and told me I’d probably need 2 or 3 lots. However, I was contracting and dilating by myself by my next examination so I didn’t need anymore. They broke my waters a little while later which was agony!!! I was told I would need and epidural as it keeps blood pressure down during delivery but I waited a little too late to get it I think! The contractions were coming thick and fast and I wish I’d had it earlier. It was agony trying to keep still. He took 40 minutes to insert it as he kept hitting bone
(I can’t actually remember much of this…)
Once it was in, it worked but not on the right side of my stomach. I was devastated and still in agony. They kept topping it up but it would only relieve the pain for a few minutes.
Anyway, the rest of this part is a blur – I was pushing for ages apparently and he was nearly out but his heartbeat dropped and wasn’t recovering. I could hear it as he had a clip on his head. I screamed at them to get him out – cut me open, rip me just get him out! They used forceps and cut me and I tore but Harry arrived safely at 2.16pm on 8th feb. 6lb 2oz.

He was absolutely fine and scored 9 on the apgar straight away. I however wasn’t doing so well. The stitching took a good hour but I couldn’t feel it because of the epidural. I lost a lot of blood… My blood pressure then decided to go in the opposite direction and drop dangerously low. I was tilted on the bed and had a million drs in the room. I just felt dizzy and hot and worried about little Harry. I still don’t know what the dr’s did but I recovered but had to stay in high dependency for a while.

Eventually I was allowed out of bed after being disconnected from all my wires. That felt amazing!!! I could finally pick up my little boy and feed him myself.
We went to the ward and I was there for 3 days as my blood pressure wasn’t stable. My iron levels are very low but I lied to the dr and said I felt fine as I wanted to come home so much. She was talking about a blood transfusion but I really just wanted to get home.
Next I had and influx of students who all wanted to profile my case as it was so unusual. It was very strange but I didn’t mind.

Now I am home and although I feel very weak and sore, I couldn’t be happier. There is still a chance I need the transfusion but the next 24 hours or so will determine that.
Harry is absolutely perfect! He’s a little jaundiced but apart from that, he has no problems for an early baby

Sorry this was so long – just felt like I needed to get it all out Its been quite a traumatic week for us all!

UPDATE:

so i had to be readmitted when Harry was 12 days old as i had an infection in my womb AND my stitches. I was screaming for an ambulance and i swear the pain was worse than labour. I was IV antibiotics and morphine. Harry was able to come in with me and I was discharged after 5 days.

We thought that was the end of my troubles....

When Harry was 6 weeks old, i started getting chest pains and after an urgent referal to a and e, it was discovered that i had a blood clot on my lung (pulmonary embolism) and i was in for 4 days. I am now on warfarin and OH has to inject me with clexane everyday.

so in conclusion, child birth has been quite an ordeal for me. I am glad it was me with all the troubles and not Harry though - that would be hell. And after all that, it hasn't put me off wanting more!!! (maybe leave it a couple of years though!)

Attachments

• 18634_1361169706600_1152274953_1108748_348586_n.jpg
    18634_1361169706600_1152274953_1108748_348586_n.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 25
  • 19934_1363161836402_1152274953_1113995_1882843_n.jpg
    19934_1363161836402_1152274953_1113995_1882843_n.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 28
After all that, i forgot to mention that it was pre eclampsia!!!!

i still have my pregnancy brain obviously...

Wow, sounds very dramatic, so glad you and LO are okay :) Highlights how important it is that everyone know to recognise the symptoms of pre-eclampsia

Congratulations!

xxx

congratulations glad everything is ok :hugs: xx

He is gorgeous. Sorry you had such a tough time though :(

Good weight for 4 weeks early! Huge congrats to you all :hugs:

xx

Wow, it sounds very scary - I am glad you and LO are home and doing well. He is adorable by way! Huge congratulations! :hug:

Congrats! hes beautiful!
i myself know the feeling of pre-eclampsia :( its scary but glad all is ok and your beautiful boy is here! good weight for 4 weeks early to! big strong boy! xxxx

Congratulatiosn! He is gorgeous!! I am so glad he is fine and you seem to be on a good way of recovery as well! All the best to you :hugs:

Awwww he is just the cutest!! Thank you for adding the pictures!
Well done you for remaining calm, with all that was going on around you!.. and although, it didn't all go to plan (what babies do?), you managed brilliantly.
Many congratulations!!
xxx

Congratulations, he is a little cutie!

Hope you have a speedy recovery x

He is absolutely gorgeous! I bet you are so proud.

CONGRATULATIONS

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"