Harry's birth story *22 hour labour with unusual epidural failure!*

Ginger1

Harry's Mum
Reaction score
I've finally found the time to write this up 2 weeks after the event, as we've been very busy with our little dude! :blush:

19/11/2010

9:30
Felt a trickling when I got out of the shower, at first I wasn't sure if I'd wee-ed or not, so put a pad in. This was soaked really quickly with clear liquid, so I rang the community midwife. She came over to have a look at the pad, and confirmed it was definitely my waters!!:happydance: She told me if I hadn't gone into labour within 24 hours I'd need to be induced. Rang OH to get him home from work, and my mum, who had a 4 hour drive ahead of her to get to me.

12:00

Contractions start, not too bad at this stage and manageable with paracetamol and a couple of hot baths.

16:00

Mum arrives...contractions getting quite a bit stronger now, so rang midwife again, who came and had a look at me only to break the news that I wasn't even 1cm dilated:cry: Had another hot bath and more paracetamol.

18:00

Contractions REALLY painful now, and paracetamol isn't doing the job! Rang midwife again, who came out and said I was finally starting to dilate, but cervix still quite thick. We all agreed that I needed to get to hospital for better pain relief...so followed her there in the car (not me driving of course). I just hung onto the dashboard and groaned the whole way:haha:

19:00

Arrive at hospital...thanks to the full moon delivery suites are all in use, so I wait in a private room on the ward. Given gas and air...this stuff is great, doesn't take away the pain totally but makes it more funny!:haha: Giggling like a loon at this point.

20/11/2010

Middle of the night (can't remember exact time thanks to being off my face on gas and air

LOTS of pain, gas and air not cutting it anymore, and still only progressed to 4cm:cry: finally get moved to delivery suite, where we wait for the epidural man. Am also put on Syntocinon drip to move things along a bit..contractions coming thick and fast and incredibly painful:cry:

Epidural man arrives about half an hour later as he'd been dealing with an emergency c section in the room next door. Really hard to stay still between contractions, but he gets it in :(

Unfortunately it only seemed to be working on one side, and the whole left hand side of my back and pelvis were in agony :( They tried turning me to see if that would work, but it didn't.

4ish in the morning

Second epidural attempted..much better!! Unfortunately 30 minutes later it turns out that I'm fully dilated, and too drugged up to push. They give me half an hour for epidural 2 to wear off a bit, unfortunately I can still feel a fair bit on the left side :(

6:00 in the morning

Time to push...very painful on the left side but I try to push through it as all effects of the epidural have worn off. Unfortunately after over an hour, I'm too exhausted, so the consultant arrives to give me an episiotomy and they decide on a kiwi ventouse to get my little boy out.

7:44

Harry Stephen is finally born weighing in at 6lb 8.5oz!!:happydance: Pain all forgotten, and he's totally gorgeous! I didn't even notice the stitches being put in:wacko: We're so in love with him, it was all worth it :) The anaesthetist came to see me afterwards, and was very apologetic, bless him, as it's apparently really rare for the epidural to only work on one side. The most important thing was that Harry arrived safe and well, and with no ill effects from his epic arrival :)

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/nbroadbridge/Baby%20Harry/Harry1-1.jpg

ah he's gorgeous, lots of congrats, you sound like you did really well!!

oh wow at the epidural situation...
but look at the outcome, your son is beautiful! congrats.

he's really gorgeous, massive congratulations :)

Congrats, what a smiley announcement - he's gorgeous!

congrats i had a similar problem with my epi mine didnt work from the bottom of my stomach down on the left side and felt like my hip was being wrentched out the socket with every contraction i have never been in so much pain before then but like you sed it all goes away once youve had your baby

congrats i had a similar problem with my epi mine didnt work from the bottom of my stomach down on the left side and felt like my hip was being wrentched out the socket with every contraction i have never been in so much pain before then but like you sed it all goes away once youve had your baby

Yes, that's exactly what the pain was like! I was sobbing and panicking because I thought my pelvis was falling apart as I had SPD from 28 weeks onwards. Luckily all is fine now :) Sorry you had to go through it as well :hugs:

Yes, that's exactly what the pain was like! I was sobbing and panicking because I thought my pelvis was falling apart as I had SPD from 28 weeks onwards. Luckily all is fine now :) Sorry you had to go through it as well :hugs:

yeh i had spd too and still having quite a few problems with my pelvis 5 weeks later. i was sobbing too and also shouted at the midwife cuz she wouldnt listen about how much it was hurting they tried to top it up to see if that fixed it but 2 minutes after they topped it up i was pushing and it still didnt work anyway i just had a completly dead right leg after. the weird thing is i can remeber it all but i know stil would do it again cuz you dont remeber the exact pain you were in xx

know how you feel hun my epidural was great at first but wore off quick and i had weird patches where i could still feel pain in my thighs and hip !!! congrats hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->