Has anyone here been on antidepressants OR benzodiazipines while pregnant?

Arisa

Mummy to Summer Rose
Reaction score
So my doctor informs me that the medication I am taking known as Effexor XR
is a category b2 in new Zealand but Category C in America
Now if you go on wikipedia you say that SNRI and SSRI antidepressants such as effexor (venlafaxine) Arapax (paroxatine) and Lexapro (citalopram) CAN increase the risk of miscarriage but the studies have been inconclusive

My psychiatrist who knows a lot more than my doc does on medications and their effects, told me that the category venlafaxine and most antidepressants are in is one that is still not concrete enough to rule as unsafe or safe as not enough tests have been able to prove malformations, miscarriage, low birth weight and so on, the only thing my psychiatrist told me that will happen with venlafaxine is that the baby will go through withdrawals once they are out of the womb and will be very upset and cry for one to two days but that can be addressed by psychotherapy for the mother and child which is good.

Basically I was told they are better to take if your depression and anxiety is so bad it will damage the baby not to take them and I know women who have miscarried and almost killed their children through extreme mental illness that was not treated and as for antidepressant withdrawals during pregnancy? NOOO!!! they physical effects on the woman's body is life threatening to a foetus and would seriously harm the woman as well as endanger the unborn baby

this is not a antidepressant bashing thread, I want to know of people who have taken medication or benzos for sleep like diazepam, clonazepam and zopiclone and what their experiences were

although I was told diazepam and drugs in that class are Category D and DO cause many foetal issues and deformities :nope:

any insight would be appreciated

thank you :cloud9::cloud9:

I took Fluoxetine and Olanzapine when I was pregnant. Everything was ok with my baby.

I came off my Fluoxetine (60mg) when I found out I was pregnant, but my depression got so bad I went into psychosis, so then I got put back on it, plus olanzapine for the psychotic episode! After I had my baby the psychosis came back a further two times, and I'm still suffering a bit from it now and my baby is 18 months old. Never had psychosis before I was pregnant...

wanted to add... there comes a point in the pregnancy when they think more of the mother's health than the baby's. I think that's what happened with me. My depression was so bad I had suicide plans (which would have killed me AND the baby) and when I was psychotic I literally went loopy which couldn't have been helpful to either of us. There came a point when they said either I had to take the meds, or they'd put me in hospital and force me to take the meds. So I didn't have much choice.

I was under a special mental health/gyno consultant, have you got that? He'd seen many mothers in my situation so knew what was safe and not safe to take.

After my baby was born he had his blood sugars monitored for the first 24hrs due to the meds I'd been on, but there was nothing wrong with him so he went home with me the next day.

I am also on Effexor and, was on it for 18 months before getting pregnant and took it al through my pregnancy. There was just no way I could stop, the withdrawal of these is so horrific and takes so much longer than the pregnancy. Plus for my 'mental health' going off them was not an option.

My son was born ten days early but his weight was 3kg 350g, he was 51cm and he was completely and utterly healthy. My entire pregnancy was - apart from the nausea, the back pain and the inability to eat bacon - totally normal too.

I did however decide against breastfeeding. I'll be honest, I did no research and I have not got the faintest idea wether or not the venlafaxin makes it into the mother's milk, I just decided to avoid any possible further ingestion of the stuff for him by going bottle.

Thank you so much for that MiuMiow I really did want to know of anyone who was on venlafaxine/effexor during pregnancy and how it affected them so its good to know you were safe and your baby was fine.
Actually I was told by my psychiatrist that the only really dangerous medications to take during pregnancy are indeed benzodiazipines like valium and lorazepam and off course bipolar medications like lithium, valporic acid and lamictal :) Which i was prescribed before we decided to TTC but said no, something in me knew it was wrong, yay for womens intuition and like both of you said, the womens mental health is the main priority as women with depression who go untreated can cause a lot of damage to their unborn children, my other cousin did since she has psychosis and took nothing for it, now her children all five of them have PTSD and one has ADD and the other has behavioural deficiencies and its been linked to her psychotic episodes during pregnancy where she would spiral out of control and take amphetamine, cocaine and binge drink :O

thank you both for your in put :)
I am glad the olanzapine was not dangerous as I know how bad it can be to not have bipolar/psychosis and personality disorders treated medically

(I have borderline personality disorder)

Hi, i've been diagnosed with major depression and psychosis. Been on and off medication for the last 3 years. My morning sickness messed up my meds as i was on venlafaxine (effexor), as my sickness lasted all day and i struggled to keep fluid down most days then my meds didn't stay down. I'm also on aripiprazole for the psychosis, i managed to get the disolveable ones so kept those down ok as they dissolve on your tongue with no water.
Psychiatrist since suggested changing my anti depressant to sertraline as he didn't think effexor had ever really worked for me and i agreed. I hate all the meds and really wish i could come off them.

hey lulu :hugs:
Yeah I am also on effexor and was unable to withdraw as I got so bad the other day, I could not stop vomiting and became suicidal and was looking for ways to kill myself so the psychiatric team came over and I am told to stick with effexor in a high dose as the risks to my and babies health was too severe to not take antidepressants and I am also on Seroquel, a mild sedative and anti psychotic to help me eat and sleep :D
I also know a few girls on fluoxetine and seroquel and their babies are healthy and calm and have little crying issues too but yeah the breastfeeding thing is an issue. When it comes to breastfeeding, I think effexor is not safe over all but its better than not being on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->