Have you been refused dental treatment because of pregnancy?

lostgirl10

NY Times
Reaction score
Hi,

I would love to interview you if you have had trouble getting a dentist to take care of your teeth during pregnancy, or if you had any dental work done during any trimester. Do you have 15 minutes to get on the phone before April 11th? If so please email [email protected]

Hope to hear from you!

Catherine

I had a routine cleaning done 2 weeks ago, but he decided to wait to do the fillings until after I delivered LO due to how far along I was.

Mine just made me get a note from my doctor that it was fine for a filling and skipped x-rays (though doctor okayed one x-ray). No problem getting cleanings.

I have had my dentist refuse to do work on me during my first trimester outside of a routine exam and cleaning. And he discouraged me from having work done during my third (due to lying on my back for an exended period of time) but second tri work was ok by him and me. And like the others, no x-rays.

Mine won't and won't do her own X-rays even though I've been told I have a failed root canal and have been in pain ages with my wisdom tooth. Thankfully it's died down a lot and I'm hoping to last until after birth because she wont do a thing! Even though before I changed dentists he did a root canal and filling while I was pregnant. It's ridiculous when one will do it and another not!

I have terrible tooth ache but my dentist said there's nothing they can do until after I give birth as they can't give me an X-ray to find out what's wrong

I've a massive dental phobia so mine won't do any work until it is safe to sedate me

At 20 weeks My bottom front teeth started hurting, my gums swelled up, the dentist said I had an infection but i had to wait till the baby was born before she could treat me, I get tooth ache constantly and my gums bleed a lot whilst brushing me teeth :(
I'm in a lot of pain with them and she said all I can take is paracetamol :(

I should clarify that for my NYTimes story ideally I'd love to speak to women who live in the U.S. who have had trouble getting a dental problem treated during pregnancy. Hope to hear from you, if you had an issue. Best, Catherine

I work as a dental nurse and we treat pregnant women all the time. I'm in the UK.. Some women choose not too in the 3rd tri just because of comfort etc though. Only thing we won't do is amalgam fillings and X-rays.

ive had root canal, fillings and an xray - no problems also they just gave me antibiotics...

In the U.S. a national consensus statement jointly written by ob-gyns and dentists concluded that the use of dental x-rays and certain pain medications including local anesthetics with epinephrine are safe in any trimester. They also said emergency treatment - needing abscessed teeth extracted for ex. - should be done in any trimester. Read more here: https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...are/?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.z_sma=HL_OFP_20130506

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->