Having a Right Old FML Moment

Kate&Lucas

& OH & Mush
Reaction score
So everyone at Lucas's school is starting to get into Elf On The Shelf this year, even one of the classes has their own class elf.
Trouble is they've all bought the elf and not the book so no-one is following the first rule of elf adoption... don't touch the elf!!
There are kids turning up to school of a morning clutching elves in their hands, Lucas is panicking :rofl:

I'm trying to pass it off that it must be a different type of elf/just a toy version but they all clearly have the same one as us :dohh: Nightmare!

I'll be surprised if we make it to Christmas with him still believing. Help :haha:

I saw a disagreement about this on an elf fb page.
Way I see it the rules are what you make for your own family, you cant expect everyone to follow the same rule.
Its a bit of fun at the end of the day.

Sure I've no issue with people doing their own thing, it was more of a fun "how am I going to explain this one" kind of post :shrug::dohh:

Sure I've no issue with people doing their own thing, it was more of a fun "how am I going to explain this one" kind of post :shrug::dohh:

We decided against the whole toy elf thing as our son just would not believe the whole coming alive at night thing, so our elf just comes through the elf door at night and we never see him, he leaves messages and treats. He mentioned a friend at school having 2 toy elves and I just said every child or Family is allocated their own elf that visits them every year, and each elf likes to do things their own way. Ours can't come during the day as he helps make the toys and look after the reindeer. Can you say the other children's elves maybe use a different type of magic so it's not as important not to touch?

That is a hard one! I would probably do as above and just say different family different rules and hope that works. Hannah is 8 and knows that all of our friends family's are different. Some celebrate Christmas, some don't. Some believe in Santa, some don't. So I would try to carry that through.

Oh dear.....so many dilemmas over something make believe ha ha.
I need to explain to DDs that BIL and SIL will be sleeping in our living room when Santa comes, my living room isn't very big either. I even suggested a hotel to DH and he laughed at me!

Back to the Elf.... I told DD that not all children get elves as there aren't enough and some are busy helping Father Christmas. So maybe next year we can miss it out, she is loving the idea though and rushes down every morning :)
I must admit we haven't read the book and a no touching rule wouldn't work with my two. I have said we can't take it out though as we lost last years elf. He stays in the living room by his door (except at night).

We decided against the whole toy elf thing as our son just would not believe the whole coming alive at night thing, so our elf just comes through the elf door at night and we never see him, he leaves messages and treats. He mentioned a friend at school having 2 toy elves and I just said every child or Family is allocated their own elf that visits them every year, and each elf likes to do things their own way. Ours can't come during the day as he helps make the toys and look after the reindeer. Can you say the other children's elves maybe use a different type of magic so it's not as important not to touch?

Exactly what we do elf-wise, and how we've explained it

My two know that not every family gets picked to have an elf as some elves have to stay at the north pole to do other jobs. Ours are allowed to be picked up, we havn't read the actual 'elf on the shelf' story, we have cuddly elves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->