having friends round to play.

DCS

Reaction score
I finally asked DS best friends mum if he would like to come and play. I sent a little note with the boy and his mum rang me and j said I would check dates and get back to her this week.

So I have a few questions.
1. How long? Do we set drop off pick up times in advance?
2. Activities- do I need to set anything up? They are 4 years old.
3. Should I keep them in the living room where me and OH can supervise?
4. Is the other mum expected to stay?

I will have snacks/ lunch for my kids out anyway. So will just pick up a few extra bits.

Any tips?

Hi,

I have a 5 year old and this is how I normally organise:

About 1.5-2 hours. I or the other mum/dad normally pick up my son from school and take over to their house. I agree the pick up time in advance with the parents

I don't normally set anything up. the kids normally go and play in my son's room or the garden and I check up on the kids regularly

The first time my son had friends over to play, the other mums stayed. But now we all know each other well and we don't stay. Just drop off and pick up.

I also have fruit & snacks for the kids, but not too much, unless they are staying for tea.

Hope this helps.

The same as above post although I don't have anyone pick up DD from school in case she didn't want to go but everything else I do the same

I think a couple of hours is good. I agree a pick up/ drop off time so everyone's clear.

I let them go play, if they ask to do anything specific I set it up at the time.

Other parent never usually stays, although I am typically friendly with the parent of whoever comes to play.

Fruits and snacks , maybe ask about any allergies. :)

O don't really want them going upstairs because the kids room is still unfinished. And my DS is a nightmare, I know he will make a huge mess or jump of the beds.
I suppose I can try and arrange for later next week and spend a few days trying to get it finished.

As the others have said really.

1.5-2 hours. I don't set anything up and i let them play upstairs, downstairs or in the garden - i don't mind if they make a mess of the bedroom if I'm honest. Parents normally don't stay and i usually offer a nice snack.

Once the child has been once and i know what they are like i will extend the time - usually i offer to give the child dinner at sometimes for a mum this can be a nice treat for them and any other children they have etc.

I always set a drop off time, I then give a rough pick up time. For example the last friend I had over I knew the Mum had a small baby so I just around a certain time but no rush. I usually say 3 hours-ish maybe 2, depends if you've offered to feed him/her too.

I've never really set up activities. All my LO's toys are easy to get to inside and outside and I just let them play. Last time whilst my daughter had a friend over they asked if they do colouring and sticking stuff so I set that up for them but most the time they're happy to play.

I don't confine them to one room, they're allowed upstairs or outside if the weathers nice but I like to check on them a lot and be able to see/hear what they're doing most the time.

For the most part they don't stay but I kind of leave that open, they're more than welcome to, or sometimes they just stop for 15 mins and make sure LO is settled in ok.

I tend to be the one who hosts the play dates for various reasons within my group :shrug: works for me though as I am home anyways :)

Usually 1-2 hours though sometimes Hannah's best friend will come for an entire afternoon. I always verify pick up time which is generally before dinner so we can eat, get kids bathed and in bed on time etc.

I just let them play :thumbup:

Hannah is 7 and her friends range from 5-7 (that come over). She has a 3 year old little brother though who also plays with them and I let them play downstairs in the playroom and generally stay on the main level (they are SO loud I can hear what they are doing haha) and I check on them often.

None of the kids moms that I watch stay now but their kids have been here repeatedly. Personally if it were my child I would stay at least the first time to get a feel of the household but I may be a little on the overprotective side :blush:

Thanks ladies. I txt his mum today. He is popping round Wednesday. DS is so excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->