HB home visit questions?

special_kala

love my bugs
Reaction score
Ive got my MW coming round tomorrow for the home visit (well she might be coming over all depends as she is on call for HB's) and my mind has gone blank.

Any good questions to ask?

I know i want to ask if they have birthing stools or should i get my own.

Hi - I just had my visit yesterday. We talked through a lot of stuff so a lot of things I might of asked got covered anyway - she seemed to have a sheet of topics to work through.
I did ask about going postdate and how that affected HB, but mainly because DS was 18 days past EDD and it's my little worry :blush:
She was very positive about everything, which was great.
Hope yours goes well - sure it will :)

Mine is coming on Thursday and has given me the sheet she fills in, it's got the following points on:

• Who will look after you?
  • Transfer to unit - what will happen
  • On-call system
  • Unexpected events in labour
  • Antenatal considerations
  • When to call the midwife
  • Labour considerations
  • Third stage of labour
  • Coping in labour
  • How progress in labour is monitored
  • What midwife brings and when
  • How baby's well-being is monitored
  • What woman needs to provide
  • 'Other'!!

So I've arranged my questions to fit in with her list as my MW is the 'efficient' type and I'm not convinced that if I leave all my questions til the end that they will actually get answered! Basically I just want convincing that she will give me as much time at home as possible before even contemplating transfer, personally I would like plenty of notice if it even crosses her mind so I can make the jump psychologically and try different things to avoid it... plan to do most of the talking! Hope this helps.

hey Kala, i just came across this thread and thought id ask how it all went?

My MW is coming to do my home visit soon so any advice would be great :)x

Erm who provides what, when to call, situations where you might need transfering, unexpected situations, time restrictions on labouring at home.

It was ok. She spent alot of time listing why i would be transfered and ask why i want a HB.

She didnt tell me anything i didnt know from here anyway :haha:

Oh apart from me needing to buy a big bowl for the placenta and to have a big torch handy for stitches...that one made my OH laugh. Im considering getting her one of them mining hats with the lights :haha:

I asked what the transfer time is and was pleasently surprised that it was only 15 minutes, will come in handy when people start saying to me how HB are dangerous etc

It was ok. She spent alot of time listing why i would be transfered and ask why i want a HB.

She didnt tell me anything i didnt know from here anyway :haha:

Oh apart from me needing to buy a big bowl for the placenta and to have a big torch handy for stitches...that one made my OH laugh. Im considering getting her one of them mining hats with the lights :haha:

I asked what the transfer time is and was pleasently surprised that it was only 15 minutes, will come in handy when people start saying to me how HB are dangerous etc

glad it went well...the mining hat is a good idea though:haha:
think im gonna make a little list of things to ask:flower:

I havent been asked to have a big bowl...hmmm mind you I dont get a visit or a HB pack/kit delivered.

Weird how it varies from place to place.

It is a really good idea to have a list of things you would like to chat about and get answers to all written down so you don't forget anything you wanted to say or ask.

A bucket is always handy - for being sick into when you don't want to move, to use as a potty if you can't get to your toilet, or for the placenta. So I would make sure you have a clean-ish one to hand (had to find ours in the shed and remove lots of mud and flower bulbs). Although for the placenta.. ours was wrapped up in a bed-wetting pad the mw brought with them. They bring lots of stuff..

Also a tourch is a must for me! If you are in the semi dark labouring, it is great for your parners and mws alike. My OHs massive maglight came very handy for a few stitches - he held it and was trying to get the beam nicely focused on vulva, so the MW could be hands free. Our ceiling lights and side lights were not enough.

Also essential was a mirror - so I could labour in any position I liked, and the MW if they wanted could still see when the head became visiable. Also if you would like to see, rather than just feel.

Xxx

My MW hasn't said anything about a home visit or anything, I'm guessing in my area they either don't or she is expecting it not to go ahead. hmmm

That is an hummm Indigo! I guessing that they are waiting and seeing. To be fair to them they can't arrange a appointment for you just yet - but as you are planning a home birth, they should at least be letting you know there might be a home visit arranged about 37-38 wks, or a birth kit (i didn't have a birth kit - I know some areas do). I would be direct and ask your mw about whether it is their policy or not with all planned home births, to do a home visit routinely; It could be that because things are straight forward with your preganancy there isn't a need for one. I don't know if mine was routine, or in light of a GD diagnosis. Got to worth you asking the direct questions and hopefully getting direct answers! ;-)
Xx

Really in some places they just don't - I think they might schedule it as a home visit so they have more time with you to go through everything, rather than at your GPs/hosp where there might be 10 other women waiting to be seen after you. Mine bring everything on the day so don't drop anything off beforehand, and apart from me providing something waterproof and some old sheets, mine was only bothered that I had enough tea/coffee/biscuits/toast in to keep them going. I'll have a bucket and a bowl on standby like but they're bringing everything they like to have with them.

Yes I did mention in my last appointment the bringing of the birth kit, and what week was it. It was straight after my MW had said, so if such a such you won't be able to have a homebirth. Next appointment I'll ask if they do a home visit or not and see what she says, I'm pretty sure they think I will crumble at the 36wk appointment with my consultant as he is very pushy and I felt a bit intimidated last time, little do they know I'm not going on my own but bringing my doula as support. She is quite upfront and has already said we will take my research about VBAC's etc... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->