He keeps choking

BabyMamma93

Mummy of a Easter baby
Reaction score
so ive been trying finger foods more recently, (you may know i couldnt do BLW bcos i weaned early for reflux)
so here are the success & fails (fails being things hes choked on)

success:
Soft boiled/steamed carrots
broccoli
colliflour
mashed potato
pancakes
scrambled egg (although he plays more than anything)
toast
carrot stick crisps
battered fish bites (one try never since)
hes had a little bit of meat depending how soft it turned out
waffles

fail:
buttered crumpets- i thought at 9m old he would be okay with this but no he choked, not gagged
yorkshire pudding, the soft bit thats like a pancake
someone gave him kabab meat which i wasnt happy about but he choked on that too

i know theres more success than fails, but i dont want to be giving him the same stuff all the time

any ideas on what to give him working with the success

Grilled salmon
Humous with or without pita bread
Baby sweetcorn
Rice balls
Falaffel
Ratatouille
Bolognaise
Cheese sandwich

Grilled salmon
Baby sweetcorn
Rice balls
Falaffel
Ratatouille
Bolognaise
Cheese sandwich

i really should try fish more often, we dont eat it much so i dont know much about it haha, can you get like good, but cheap cuts of fish, or is fish just fish?
as for humous ive never even seen this haha ill have to look out for some, and thanks for the ideas, ill give them a go :)
PS the cheese, grated or thinly sliced? or cheese spread?

What do you normally eat? I would offer him that. There aren't foods that are fine for avoiding choking and one's that aren't. Food is food. Actually the easiest thing to choke on is liquid, it's why people who have trouble swallowing due to a medical condition have to have liquids like water thickened in order to safely drink them. So it's probably just entirely coincidental that you feel he choked on those foods, though if it really was gagging rather than choking, I do think that babies probably tend to gag more on foods they don't like because it's a way of getting the food out of the mouth. But just because he choked or gagged or generally doesn't like them, no reason to avoid offering them. Otherwise, I would just feed whatever you eat - pasta, jacket potatoes, cottage pie, soup, crackers and cheese, stews or casseroles, sandwiches, etc. Fruits like grapes (you can halve them if it makes you more comfortable), blueberries, strawberries, banana slices are also great. Yogurt is good too, he can just dip his hands in and feed himself. The finger foods list in here might be a good place to start and there are lots of good suggestions in the Gill Rapley Baby-Led Weaning book (don't buy it just for that, but your local library should have a copy).

What do you normally eat? I would offer him that. There aren't foods that are fine for avoiding choking and one's that aren't. Food is food. Actually the easiest thing to choke on is liquid, it's why people who have trouble swallowing due to a medical condition have to have liquids like water thickened in order to safely drink them. So it's probably just entirely coincidental that you feel he choked on those foods, though if it really was gagging rather than choking, I do think that babies probably tend to gag more on foods they don't like because it's a way of getting the food out of the mouth. But just because he choked or gagged or generally doesn't like them, no reason to avoid offering them. Otherwise, I would just feed whatever you eat - pasta, jacket potatoes, cottage pie, soup, crackers and cheese, stews or casseroles, sandwiches, etc. Fruits like grapes (you can halve them if it makes you more comfortable), blueberries, strawberries, banana slices are also great. Yogurt is good too, he can just dip his hands in and feed himself. The finger foods list in here might be a good place to start and there are lots of good suggestions in the Gill Rapley Baby-Led Weaning book (don't buy it just for that, but your local library should have a copy).

if im totally honest, me & OH eat really poo food :blush: we are so lazy and unhealthy when it comes to food you wouldnt believe.
But most of the things in the list are things that he has when we do, like the veg, when we do meats we always do veg, & he has that. when we have something proper crap, like crappy frozen chicken i give him waffles or pancakes. i did forget to add banana and yogurt in the list too but he cant hold slices of banana but can handle them really well.
when i say choking i literally mean blue in the face, cant breath then vomits, he has gagged on foods alot and i can tell the difference, he has defo choked not gagged on the failed foods.
i lso worry about giving him pasta, im so panicky i really dont think there is anything to snap me out of it, until he has all his teeth i think im going to stay this way. i do give him finger foods whenever possible but i also give in sometimes and spoon feed him bcos im just so scared. i also panic with grapes.. wont he choke on the skin?
i have the BLW book but i havent really read it as i disagreed with alot of things she says in it haha. ill have a look through the foods list.
im just not adventurous either, like i say me & OH eat really rubbish, if someone said to try make banana pancakes i wouldnt know where to start, i have no idea how to cook fish and what goes with it either we just stick to foods weve had loads of times before :blush:

ETA: even though hes mainly been spoon fed he is good at chewing he even chews on pureed food

Grilled salmon
Baby sweetcorn
Rice balls
Falaffel
Ratatouille
Bolognaise
Cheese sandwich

i really should try fish more often, we dont eat it much so i dont know much about it haha, can you get like good, but cheap cuts of fish, or is fish just fish?
as for humous ive never even seen this haha ill have to look out for some, and thanks for the ideas, ill give them a go :)
PS the cheese, grated or thinly sliced? or cheese spread?

Fish is usually cheaper when farmed rather than caught. It is up to do whether you like the idea of farmed fish or not and the antibiotics etc that have to be used in farming, or want to avoid trawled fish because of the damage the nets cause etc.

Some cheaper fish is really nice, some not. Trial and error.

I think now's the time then to start cooking and eating healthier. It doesn't get easier as they get older to try to make healthier foods for them while you eat the same old rubbish you always have. It's more work and probably more expensive. I'd say get yourself a good cookbook or look online for easy healthy recipes and make a few and see how it goes. Anything you can make in a slow cooker is super easy and you can even prep it all in advance when your partner is around so you have some free time, stick it in freezer bags in the freezer, and then all you have to do is pop it in the slow cooker, add water or whatever and leave it. If you make enough, it will last you two night's worth of dinners so you don't have to bother the next day.

Our diet got really crap as well between when our daughter was born and when she started weaning because we just didn't have time at night to cook, so we ate a lot of ready-meals and such. But it just took a bit of planning to sit down and think ahead about what we wanted to have for the week that was healthy and how we'd find time to cook it. I do a lot of meal prep while my daughter has dinner (around 5:30), chopping veg, putting potatoes on to boil, etc. So that I can get it all on while I'm putting her to bed and then it's done. She gets leftovers from the night before for her dinner the next day. It does take planning and effort and sometimes it's a real pain in the ass, but it's meant we're eating a lot better these days.

And yes, grapes are fine. Cut them in half if it makes you nervous. I did that for maybe the first month, but never bothered with the skins. She was eating whole grapes just fine from 10 months and has never once choked on any food. Only thing she's ever choked on is water! It's really hard to choke on a grape skin though, as it's thin enough that it can't possibly block the airway, in the way a whole nut or a sweet would.

i know we really should be eating better, for M's sake, but its just too expensive here to eat healthy, all the healthy foods arent cheap then the crap foods are, we are low on money atm, i think im going to have to find some cheap healthy recipe ideas, its hard bcos my OH is sooo fussy, he has to have some sort of meat with every meal, but wont eat cheap or fatty cuts of mean, i dont buy meat bcos i have no idea what to look for i get all the rubbish cuts with the grisstle and fat running through it which we both hate lol

i know we really should be eating better, for M's sake, but its just too expensive here to eat healthy, all the healthy foods arent cheap then the crap foods are, we are low on money atm, i think im going to have to find some cheap healthy recipe ideas, its hard bcos my OH is sooo fussy, he has to have some sort of meat with every meal, but wont eat cheap or fatty cuts of mean, i dont buy meat bcos i have no idea what to look for i get all the rubbish cuts with the grisstle and fat running through it which we both hate lol

Root vegetables (onions/carrots/potatoes) and tinned pulses (like barlotti / cannellini / kidney beans or chickpeas) are usually cheap so you can make a tasty stew from those. If your OH likes meat you could get a small amount of some decent mince, but bulk it out with veg so it isn't so expensive per portion. Chilli con carne is good because the beans and rice are cheap so it is only the mince you are having to pay more on and if you bulk it out with other veg you could get it to last for quite a few decent meals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->