He won't stop screaming after every feed!!

BrandiCanucks

Mommy of 4, WTT
Reaction score
My baby is 17 days old. For the last few days, he starts screaming at the top of his lungs like he's in pain within 10 minutes of every feed. He coughs and gags while trying to burp him and rarely actually burps. He wheezes when feeding and sounds like a chirping bird while he gulps the milk down.

He stops screaming if I pick him up but whines if I sit him up straight. He screams when in the bouncer semi-upright and he won't sleep through the day unless cradled or unless I'm driving.

He also seems to want to eat more frequently, every 2 1/2 to 3 hours rather than his normal 4.

Any insight on how to help him?

Every 4 hours is a long time for a 17 day old to go between feeds, 2 1/2-3 hours is much more typical. Maybe he's gassy? Do you have an overactive letdown? Maybe he just wants to be held? Can you wear him in a wrap?

I'd say 4 hours is a little too long for him to be going without food, especially in a breast fed baby.
But back to your query, maybe he has a bit of reflux and it's causing him pain after feeding. Try keeping him up right after feeds for a good half hour.
Xx

Every 4 has been his natural demand since birth. How would I know if I have overactive letdown? Is oversupply associated with it? He takes about 4oz a feed (based on post-feed weights in NICU) and I can still pump out a good 10oz after his feed. I only pump once a day though.

Wow that is a huge oversupply, pumping is just going to make it worse. Overactive letdown can go along with it, signs are baby having trouble keeping up with the flow and coughing, gagging, or refusing altogether. It can also cause bad gas because they break the latch and swallow air while trying to keep up with the flow. You could try unlatching once your initial letdown starts and spraying unto a towel before letting him feed. Also feeding in a more upright position or side lying helps.

He was in NICU for a few days so I was pumping several times a day, which I'm sure didn't help. Morning's are the worst for engorgement, so I've only been pumping first thing in the morning and storing what I pump.

I also feel a letdown without leaking at least once every hour, even though he only feed every 4. I've breastfed before and had an oversupply with my other two BF children, but never had this issue with the screaming after a feed with them.

Clicking sound while nursing is another sign of overactive letdown.

Try nursing lying down or putting baby on your stomach while you recline, and expressing a little before each feed so that you cause the let down prior to latching. It's something that takes time and they have to learn to adjust while your body is also adjusting. I also gave my daughter some gas drops when I knew she took in a lot of air while nursing. She wasn't always the easiest to burp.

Unless you have a real need I wouldn't pump, I would just express the little you need for comfort and stop. If you keep pumping to the full extent you will continue to tell you body to make that much milk. Oversupply as you know can take time to level out.

Yes! He has the clicking too! We do a lying position feed through the night cuz with 3 kids awake in the day and him through the night, I need as much rest as possible. We don't have the issue through the night, so I guess the lying position explains why not.

Thanks ladies!!

Could be colic - it hit Abby at about that time. However, my nephew was the same and in the end it was a lactose intolerance. Abby had a dairy protein intolerance which we discovered through elimination. Try cutting dairy out of your diet for a few days and see if that makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->