Health visitors

ImisMummy

Reaction score
Im really amazed by my health visitor

I wear my baby, cloth nappy her, so-sleep sometimes and I want to do BLW

and she doesnt have any knowledge of any of these

she has infact encouraged me to use less cloth as it is quicker and easier to use sposies!

I would love to have some one on one help with BLW when the time comes but dont know how to get any?

I didnt breast feed as I was never encouraged or shown how to but i will not fail at BLW, it what suits my daughter

Do health visitors normally get trained in natural parenting methods?

My HV encouraged my to co-sleep due to her feeding so often.
She also is a HUGE supporter of BLW

however, she said she was in the minority.

LOL....I think the answer to your question is no!

Obviously, I'm overgeneralising there but I have come across very few who have appreciated what BLW was, "what...no spoon feeding at ALL??? She needs something spooning to her...how will she get enough food???" I have had early weaning encouraged, cloth nappies discouraged (they cause nappy rash, apparently!) and I have even had one tell me that there were no health benefits to breastfeeding after 6 months....a statement that I also recieved from a midwfie who backed it up with telling me how 'dangerous' it was to bf and be preg at the same time.

The whole training structure of HVs needs to be looked at, and refresher training (especially on weaning and BFing) really should be implimented by the PCT that the clinic runs under.

xxx

dont get me wrong, she is a lovely lady and extremely helpful with my PND and "me" related things, but im just not sure how to start BLW!

Do you think if I expressed my interest in it and how it is becoming more popular, her team leader might send her on special training.

It seems a shame that people dont have more access to natural parenting methods

*posted this before i saw babyshambelles post!

I'm sure if you just ask on the site we'll all tell you how to BLW. I found it SOOO easy

Might be worth mentioning it to someone higher up and say you feel she's lovely but you need more help and she doesn't know so can someone please train her?

I can already tell that Imi will love food

A friend left some puree with us the other day and we thought we would see if Imi was interested
This was the result:
https://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx89/ImiMummy/Ims/100_0650.jpg
She didnt touch the spoon, just shoved her hands in it and burst into tears when we took it away!

Naughty Mummy!

I love that photo, tickled me pink! Unless HVs have the full facts and figures regarding anything that strays from the so called norm (in this case spoon feeding), many of them are reluctant to advise as they are accountable for any advice given. She should, however take the initiative to read up and get back to you with any findings to allow you to make an informed decision.

Have a look at www.rapelyweaning.com. It takes for granted that most BLW mothers have breastfeeding, but it does give advice for FF mums. (I FFed too and I plan on BLW).

Good luck
Joanne x

Buy the book buy gill rapley. I'm a bit nervous about BLW and choking so I wanted to read it to be 100% confident as I do it and it's truly a lovely little book. It makes it all sound so right and so lovely that you'll be a complete and utter convert. I love it, in fact you can have mine when I'm done if you like? x

That would be fantastic hun.

Iv looked around our local shops and no one has ever heard of BLW

i gave in to easily with the breast feeding so im determined to do this for Imi

If they try to spout advice I start telling them all about the benefits of cloth. I think they need retraining to keep up with the guidelines and also they should be able to give information on all aspects of caring for your baby.

Seen as WHO advise people to BF for 2 years I think its shocking well HV, dentists/doctors sa give it up within the first few weeks or months.

I think what they need to do is offer advise on all areas and then let eah person choose which route to take with their baby so they can do whats best for them.

my HV is really good she doesnt really comment much on the way i do things! i'm not sure if its beacause she doesnt have a problem with it or she doesnt understand! I dont tend too see her much anyway i only go to get harry weighed every 3-4 weeks now just too make sure he's doing ok is was my midwife who advised me on co-sleeping and babywearing! the HV was a bit confused over the cloth bum asked all sorts of questions about it! But with BLW she was brilliant lent me a dvd to watch which is really good, iv also got the book by gill rapley which i would recomend!

Ive not taken Noah for weighing since feb :blush: I got on the scales with him though :haha:

she asked me too take him every week at first! i was like ummm why :s i can see hes happy i feed him whenever he wants it so why wouldnt he be putting on weight!...

i got on the scales with harry the other day, didnt relise i had hold of him almost had a heart attack!

From what I've heard, health visitors are gradually being trained on BLW, but nutritionists don't promote it as they say there's no evidence to say it's as good as or better than traditional weaning so there's a lot of arguing on it.

I was very lucky that my midwife (well, in fact all of the many midwives I saw) was pro-homebirthing, breastfeeding, and whilst I was anti-co-sleeping, they were very into it and *made* me co-sleep for my own sanity. I was lucky as I was under their care for just over 2 weeks so by the time I was discharged I was set in my ways.

My health visitor is a lovely lady and supportive of my decisions but obviously has to make the standard statements about co-sleeping etc. None of my health visiting team had heard of BLW last year when I asked during a weaning workshop but I believe they're now educated on it to some degree. I avoid taking Theakston to clinic because it's an utter waste of time IMO. Some people come to ours every week to have their baby weighed and I really don't understand why. I went fortnightly for a while because they told us to but after a certain age I just stopped bothering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->