Healthy calorie range for pregnancy

HopingFor2v1

Soon to be Mommy of 2
Reaction score
My midwives keep harping on my weight gain and they suggested I start logging my food. I was an avid food logger before I was pregnant, but it fell on the back burner once I got my BFP. I started this pregnancy at 155, which is about 15 lbs heavier than I'd like, and I've gained about 15-18 lbs by 24 weeks. They said this was the most amount of weight I should gain for my entire pregnancy (which I think is BS), but I figured I'd start tracking again to help slow down my weight gain.

Any idea what a healthy calorie range would be for 2nd

ETA: I try to exercise 2x a week, in addition to teaching my own exercise class. I feel like I'm getting exercise in, it's my food intake that's the problem.

Your calorie requirements depend on a lot of variables including your age and height. Instead of focusing on a specific target, you might start with the food logging and see where you're at and then make adjustments from there?

So I've just googled this;

"Healthy weight (BMI of 18.5 to 24.9): If your pre-pregnancy weight was in the healthy range for your height at conception you should gain between 25 and 35 pounds, gaining 1 to 5 pounds in the first trimester and about 1 pound per week for the rest of your pregnancy for the optimal growth of your baby"

I suppose with another 15 odd weeks to go your midwives may just be concerned you may go over the 'recommended' weight gain but I usually find weight gain tails of at the end... I seem to have put on the most amount of weight in my first trimester and though I'm in the 'ideal' bmi range I really do have to keep an eye on my portion sizes and the amount of snacks I eat.

I get really frustrated with the recommended weight gain chart. I did some digging and there's no research behind it. Basically a group of doctors wanted to improve upon the last recommended weight gain chart that separated woman out based on their insurance risk categories. Then they dropped the weight gain recommendations because they felt it would be healthier for the women.

It does not take into account activity levels, metabolism, genetics or anything else. So take it with a grain of salt.

Some women, especially ones who have either recently lost or who regularly engage in high intensity cardio, may experience increased weight gain from the anecdotes I've read and my experience.

Plus weight gain is not linear nor is it solely due to caloric intake. I experienced a lot of swelling that lead to weight gain beyond any possible caloric intake.

All we can do is eat as healthy as we can and exercise as we can. Instead of viewing the weight gain as a mandate, remember it is the doctor's way of monitoring for conditions that might be harmful like pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes which may cause a very rapid weight gain.

Doctors and nurses sometimes view the guidelines as infallible and rigidly apply them. The important thing is to be healthy regardless of how fast, in which trimester or how much weight you gain.

Eat what you want, when you want and stop when you are full, don't eat "low cal" crap, stay away from processed stuff and you will be fine xxx Just eat as clean as you can, forget what the stupid charts say, my bmi was 27 and i got a ticking off about it, however because i am a cyclist i have large leg muscles, any muscle tone on you and the bmi chart is useless, in fact its known as being completely useless.

According to bmi my husband is able to weigh the same as me, he is 6ft 5?!! I am 5ft 7?!!! REALLY!!! forget it, enjoy your pregnancy xxx

I'm not sure what your height is or your BMI. But I started off at 165 and I am around 195 now. I asked my OB the other day if this is a concern, and I told her ever since I realized how heavy I had gotten I've been eating super healthy and counting my calories. She told me she does not want me losing any weight. I'm still going to continue doing what I do, I'm not starving myself in any way. Just cutting out bad foods and not overeating. If you're concerned maybe see how many calories you should be eating per day, and get yourself a fitbit, that's what I use to stay on track!

Thanks for all the replies, Ladies!

I'm 5'3 and in my early 30's. If I went by the BMI chart, I was a 27 before pregnancy, and I am now at a 30. While I'm personally alright with the weight I've gained (not my ideal amount, but I'm also not beating myself up over it), it's frustrating to get scolded at my appointments. I gained 60lbs my 1st pregnancy (though I started at 135) and I'm not letting that happen again. I've committed to exercise this pregnancy and to avoid fast food as much as possible. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how many calories are too many in regards to logging food. Yesterday, I was just shy of 1700, which I guess is good? I'm so used to using MyFitnessPal for dieting, It's hard to figure out what's the right number for me at this stage of my pregnancy.

My downfalls are dinner portions and snacking pre- and post- dinner. I'm not out to "diet" per se, but I figure if I can start to work on being more conscious around those times, then I can kind of slow down my weight gain. I do own a Fitbit, but the weather has been too hot to do anything outside. I'm hoping once the humidity and 95+ degree temps cool down, then I can start walking around my neighborhood again!

Figuring out basal caloric needs is difficult. If you assume the average 1800-2000 for women then add 150 cal for the second trimester (300 for third on average), 1700 is certainly on the low side especially if you are exercising.

I'm trying to reduce added sugars. The side effect is reduced calories but I can still hit the proteins and healthy fats when I'm feeling hungry.

ETA: basal caloric requirement is notoriously hard to calculate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->