Healthy..milk, breads, flours, rices in recipes??

tattlebaby

Reaction score
Everyone has been driving me crazy about starting LO on cows milk. I'm honestly not really looking forward in doing so, because of all the allergies it could bring. But I also want to introduce her to something else besides my breast milk, she's over one and I think it's time. What other milk could I try giving her thats gentle for her digestive system? Also, I'm looking into recipes to make for her like french toast and pancakes..wondering what breads, flours, and rices do you guys recommend? I've heard great things about sprouted breads, and coconut flours, also brown rice vs. white. But just trying to gather a little more information with these foods, maybe brands that I could look into that others like. I'm trying my best to set LO on a healthy road with foods and don't want to introduce too heavy of grains into her diet. Any thoughts please???

What about mashed avocado or a puree of mild sweet veggies like sweet potato? That was my LOs first real food, though he very quickly progressed to wanting EVERYthing.

Maybe you could use cows milk in cooking, in her cereal/porridge etc to begin with. (Im assuming she is on solids already? and you are trying to expand her diet?)

As for the rest, I usually give my kids either white or wholemeal bread (just whichever I happen to buy) and I dont like brown rice so they have white.
Im not really big on baking o I havent much advice on different flours or anything.

I also wanted to add that cow's milk and wheat flour are perfectly healthy. Yes, a small percentage of people are allergic to cow's milk or have problems digesting wheat. However, most people don't. There is no reason to complicate feeding a child by ruling out basic staples.

An easy way to get a baby used to cow's milk is to give it in a bottle or cup mixed w some breast milk. If you really want to avoid wheat, oatmeal is an easy and nutritious grain to introduce.

There's lots of good evidence to suggest that, after 6 months, not delaying offering certain foods is less likely to lead to allergies than withholding any particular food. So I wouldn't be at all afraid of offering any of the usual foods you eat as a family. You didn't say you've been avoiding anything yourself, so I'm assuming if you're eating dairy and wheat yourself and your LO hasn't had a reaction to your breastmilk, you have no reason to worry about an allergy popping up now. If there are allergies in your immediate family, I'd be careful about offering those foods (offer them, but in a controlled way and just make sure there aren't any reactions). But otherwise, I would eat as a family and have your LO get used to eating whatever you eat already. If you use cow's milk, offer cow's milk. If you don't ever drink cow's milk as a family and you don't see starting now, then offer whatever you're already drinking. Similar with grains, I'd offer whatever you already cook and eat regularly. Grains in and of themselves aren't unhealthy, unless for example, you have celiac's (and that's another story), but it's the form you are them in. Whole grains are much more nutritious than processed grains. So try to use as much whole and less processed grains as possible. We whole grain seed breads, oats, quinoa, spelt and I generally steer clear of white bread and flours as they aren't as nutritious. The only thing I really try to limit/avoid is refined sugar (we don't generally use it as a family anyway, so that goes for all of us). I use honey, agave nectar, or maple syrup when necessary in limited amounts. Some people also really like coconut sugar, which I've never tried. The main thing really is to find something that's sustainable. Like some people only want their LO's to drink goats milk or to avoid wheat flours. That's great if it works for you. But I know in our case, our local supermarket doesn't always have goat's milk and the cost of using non-wheat flours, like coconut flour, ground almonds, rice flour, etc. is prohibitively expensive (I have a couple friends who have to eat gluten free because they have celiac's and the money they spend on baking supplies would blow your mind. We couldn't afford that!). So whatever you choose, just make sure it's going to work for you in the long run and be affordable.

My LO just wasn't fussed about cows milk till nearly 2yrs old. She just had water to drink but are cheese, yoghurt, pancakes, mashed potatoes with milk in etc. plus my breastmilk. Btw she was quite happy dropping breast feeds while not substituting it with a drink of cows milk, so please don't think that if you want her to do less bf you need to get her drinking cows milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->