Heavy exercise in early pregnancy

cranberry987

Mum after ttc 16 cycles
Reaction score
Hi

Wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I do the odd spinning class, but mostly low impact stuff like pilates and aqua aerobics. I was wondering tho if it was safe to do such high intensity classes during early pregnancy. I read that such a small amount of blood gets to the bean anyway but will raising my hb/blood pressure so much affect my chances of it sticking?

Thanks

Helen

Congratulations :cloud9:

If you are used to doing rigorous exercise, you are fine to continue. :thumbup:

Warnings are more for the people that suddenly decide to start up a military style regime as soon as they get pregnant that concern health professionals, it's just too much for their bodies when they don't even usually stroll round the park :haha:

I am doing aquafit, aqua running and pilates still and have been fine - actually feel the best I ever do after swim exercises at the mo, keeps the sickness away somehow :shrug:

Just make sure you tell your instructors you are pregnant, esp yoga, pilates etc as several of the exercises may be less suitable for pregnancy and they will show you alternatives.

And listen to your body - some days it will want to lie on the couch eating chocolate rather than go to spin class :flower:

I would class spinning as high intensity which will raise your blood pressure, heart rate and very importantly core body temperature which is linked to miscarriage and fetal developmental abnormalities. (That's why things like saunas and steam rooms are not recommended)

Aquafit and yoga, fine, but I'd speak to your instructer about spinning,

Not worth the risk in my book.

I ran up to 24 weeks but only outside where I could keep very cool and stop/start when my heart rate was high. Advice is not over 140bpm. I got a heart rate montior to check .

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->