HELP! Comfort milk and teat sizes for newborn????

Kat22

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
My baby is just over a week old and shes been having alot of trouble burping. After lots of reading online weve decided to change her from Aptamil normal to Aptamil Comfort. We use Avent bottles but the milk wont come out? Weve gone up to teat size 2 but shes even struggling to get milk out with them!? Its taken her nearly an hour to drink 60mls!

Has anyone had any similar problems or can anyone offer some advice please? We need to sleep tonight .... :shrug:

Heya.

Avent teats are different to most other teats in the way that rather having just 1 hole that increases in size with the flow level of the teat, Avent teats add an extra hole of the same size for each flow level. So you will probably need to use an Avent Vari-flow teat (not available with the new Avent natural range) which has a sigle hole that you can change to suit 3 different flow rates depending on the thickness of the liquid. xxx

I have had this trouble vari flow was too fast and was making the wind worse all size 1s were terrible and size 2 were bad, Changed his bottles to mam and use the size 1 teat and he seems to be doing ok tonight and even drank more than usual with out that gluging sound

We use the tommy tippee with variflow teats with the comfort milk and they work well. It did take LO a while to get used to the variflow though, because is needs controlling with the strength of his suck, rather than just flowing.

BTW if it's just trouble getting wind up, have you tried infacol?

I had this issue too although I didn't go onto comfort milk until LO was around 8 weeks, we had to go straight to size 3 teats (avent new range).

Just a little word of warning though, I wish before i decided to go with comfort milk that i'd tried other alternatives. I was naive in thinking that bab would go back onto normal milk in a few months time.. nope! So just be weary that you may be committing to comfort milk for a long time, perhaps the full year. I know now that if I had chosen to just change milk / perhaps tried dentinox that comfort milk might not have been necessary. Not saying this isn't the same for your baby just giving you some polite advice.

The issue with comfort milk for me is that, although it has lactose in it, its already partially broken up and therefore requires less work by the gut, which is fine short term imo. My fear though is that when I try to introduce cows milk / diary, that the sudden pure lactose is going to be a nightmare. BTW I had exactly the same issue with Aptamil re burping and I no alot of people have too. Your probably right at the age she is to just go with that as opposed to pumping her with infacol etc but i'd really recommend not treating it as long term. I'm going to finally change my LO's milk tomorrow, will pop back and let you know how it goes and whether its just a dodgy ingredient in Aptamil!

I'm not claiming to be a professional and by no means has it been proven that comfort milk does cause issues with lactose in the future, i'm just adding my own opinion in by the research i've done and my own experience / experience of others I know. I have also read many counts of babies who have been on comfort milk all along and had no issue with diary too. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->