help....conflicting advice

baby D

Joshua and Amelia x
Reaction score
well my baby girl still seems to be having tummy probs - appears to be strainng alot, goes bright red, grunts,cries out, wimpers and body goes really stiff ....seems to me to be in pain/discomfort and it is REALLY upsetting me as i can/t do anything about it :cry: i think it is linked to her going for a poo- she gets really unsettled/distressed for a while and it looks like she is trying to go - but i don't know if it is this as she does also poo without any probs sometimes too - i don't think she's constipated as when she does go it's very runny!

Have changed her milk from SMA (due to wind) to Aptamil as suggested. Now my health visitor has suggested giving her a little cooled boiled water to push any wind through and to help her to poo - i said this to Midwife who said that she should not be having water so young - she is 2 1/2 weeks old - what do you girls think?

Does water help with poo/tummy ache? Also Aptamil do a milk called easy digest - do you think that may help? Again, am getting conflicting advice - Mid wife said to try it - health visitor said to avoid keep swapping milks!

This tummy/poo prob also seems worse in the evenings - and much worse through the night - why?

Has anybody else experienced this?

Also her poo is VERY runny and bright yellow with what looks like pips in - normal?

:hissy::hissy::hissy:

Have baby blues at mo and this is really worrying/upsetting me so please help me if you can :cry:

Forgot to say, have been using infacol but will this actually help if tummy ache/pain is linked to needing a poo rather than wind?

I can't say whats "right" but what I would do is.

Be careful and not give too much water, but im sure an ounce would be fine.

I agree with don't keep swapping milk. Yes, if you notice a problem with one by all means change to a different brand.. but I remember changing Bethanie and it took her a little while to adjust to it.

Sounds like she is struggling, but remember her bits are still adjusting to the milk etc and im sure these type of problems are fairly normal. Can she have infacol or something at her age - that was great the few times we used it for our little one.

Maybe some advice on their site:
https://www.infacol.co.uk/

Sorry I can't help more than that..

I Can she have infacol or something at her age - that was great the few times we used it for our little one...

thanks - have just updated initial post to include comment about infacol - have been using it but not sure if it is meant to help with tummy grips that are linked to poo probs?????

Do you think she may be lactose intolerant?:

Q : Are the symptoms of colic and lactose intolerance the same?
A : Whilst there are some similarities between the symptoms of colic and lactose intolerance - it is important to note that the main difference is that the lactose intolerant baby suffers from diarrhoea. The pressure generated by lactose and lactic acid in the stomach produces an influx of water leading to a swollen abdomen and acidic diarrhoea.

If you suspect your baby may be suffering from lactose intolerance, contact your health visitor or family doctor.

oh poor you and LO :hugs:

firstly i agree with tilly - stick to the aptamil, have always used it the maddi, its fab. if u try the easy digest be sure to make it up with hot boiled water if that makes sense, rather than cooled (like i would normally do) as the hot boiled water will help it too mix together. if u need to cool in quickly, just pop it in a jug of cold water or i have been known to run my under the cold tap - the bottle part :)

i would suggest continuing with the infacol - maddi had this from a few days old till 4months and it was fab :)

the conflicting advice is always silly honey, :hugs: it used to drive me mad and make me soooooooooo upset tbh, so i completely understand, i wouldn't give her much water, like tilly said you don't want to fill her up. i personally would keep going with the aptamil 1, its such a good formula, we actually changed maddi's to hungry one and she is still on it now so really highly recommend aptamil and infacol :)

as with the poo's sounds just like maddis so very normal

:hug: hope this helps x

My baby is just over 3 weeks and has been groaning a little it was worrying me as it seemed like she was filling her nappy but actually wasn't so was worried she was in pain but then 2-3 hours or so later we had poo so I think its linked to wind. I too had mustard colour poo today that had little bits in. Mine is on a mixture of breast milk and SMA. Another lady on here has told me hers groans too sounding like nappy filling and her LO is around 2 weeks roughly and just breast fed I think so maybe its common around this age?
Also my MW said that a bit of cooled boiled water is OK if you think may be constipated.

Oh dear poor LO

Not too sure what to advise in the way of milk etc but with regards to the water i have been giving Brooke a teeny bit of cooled boiled water from about a week old. I wouldnt worry too much if your LO needs it and it helps them to go to the loo then go for it!!

Do you think she may be lactose intolerant?:

Q : Are the symptoms of colic and lactose intolerance the same?
A : Whilst there are some similarities between the symptoms of colic and lactose intolerance - it is important to note that the main difference is that the lactose intolerant baby suffers from diarrhoea. The pressure generated by lactose and lactic acid in the stomach produces an influx of water leading to a swollen abdomen and acidic diarrhoea.

If you suspect your baby may be suffering from lactose intolerance, contact your health visitor or family doctor.

Tilly thanks for your help x Have just been reading about infacol on the web address you gave me - i don't think she is lactose intolerant but will mention it to midwife and see what she thinks too xx

However, having read the info on the site, i am now wondering if she has a mild touch of colic as the symptoms are similar to those Amelia has - maybe all the pooing (sorry) is due to her straining to pass wind - a sign of colic, apparantly!

What do you think? Possible? She does cry out and become moany and distressed - but she does not cry continuously ....oh i don't know....alll i want is my beautiful baby to be comfortable and contented.....and a little bit of sleep at night - even 3 hrs........would be kinda nice too :cry:

I would stick with the milk hun aptimal is brillaint milk and when i have another one i'll be using it on that baby too, my daughter threw up all the time with other milks and she was fine with that one.

Regarding poo it is normal for it to be yellow, bits yer i have heard that too.

have you thought about finding a massage baby group to go to hun, baby massage can help them go to the poo and help wind that is in their tummy.

ALso i got told when you wind them don't wind them with tummy crunch over wind them so they are sat up right or sit them on your lap keep their back straight and rock them back and forth side to side that can also help, they said to me what happens your burping them like you get taught to but cos their tummy is crunched over the wind get stuck in their.

Hope that helps sorry not much very good explaintion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->