Help, final nappy questions before purchase????

mummypeanut

baby due march 10th
Reaction score
Heya,

I'm working up to buying our cloth nappy stash ready for March when baby is due. I have a few last questions.

From the talk we had with the lady in the shop she said she had used cloth wipes and water for cleaning babies bottom and that this almost saved more money than the nappies because she wasnt buying brand or supermarket wipes. We would like to give this a go - but how practical is it when out and about??

Ive also been wondering about hospital (im planning a home birth but if i need to transfer will i need disposables for while in hospital) and using cloth nappies on holiday- any problems?

I was also wondering if using cloth nappies changes the toiletries you use. For example sudocreme is wqidely used for sore bottoms but does it leave a residue on the cloth which causes a problem?

So to sum up:
Cloth wipes - good or bad?
toiletries for nappy changing?
Using cloth on holiday??

xxxxx

Heya,

I'm working up to buying our cloth nappy stash ready for March when baby is due. I have a few last questions.

From the talk we had with the lady in the shop she said she had used cloth wipes and water for cleaning babies bottom and that this almost saved more money than the nappies because she wasnt buying brand or supermarket wipes. We would like to give this a go - but how practical is it when out and about??

Ive also been wondering about hospital (im planning a home birth but if i need to transfer will i need disposables for while in hospital) and using cloth nappies on holiday- any problems?

I was also wondering if using cloth nappies changes the toiletries you use. For example sudocreme is wqidely used for sore bottoms but does it leave a residue on the cloth which causes a problem?

So to sum up:
Using cloth on holiday??

xxxxx

Cloth wipes - Fab:thumbup: much better for cleaning off poo and saves you loads of pennies, you also know what you are cleaning their bottom with :thumbup: - No Chemicals :) i use a little solution of water, baby wash, olive oil and tea tree oil this keeps her bum nice and soft from the olive oil and the teeny bit of tea tree is anti bac

i keep my solution in a sports bottle(y'know the one that has a pop up lid that you can squirt the stuff onto the wipes) makes it being easy when you're out too :)

Toiletries - you cant really use any greasy rash creams like sudocreme, tho as long as you change baby regularly enough you shouldnt need it hun..if you are planning on BF? you can express a little onto baby bum if it gets a little sore or use chammomile tea as your wipe stuff which will help any redness:)

Cloth on Hols - i havent had any experience so tbh couldnt comment but i know some ladies have been on hol/are planning on doing cloth while on hols so hopefully they can help....i suppose so long as you can wash them there should be no probs :shrug:

hope that helped some hun

sara

xxxxx

Cloth wipes, great but keep some disposables handy. I will be using disposables when out for any length of time and if I HAVE to go into hospital I have disposable wipes and nappies packed. I also wouldnt take reusable wipes on holiday unless I had direct access to a washing machine (I supose it depends where you are going on holiday??!) and I would certainly switch from fleece liners to disposable liners in the nappies.
Put a message in 3rd tri re toiletries, get yourself some Lansinoh Lanolin, its good stuff. If you need to use cream generally its a good idea to switch to disposable liners for the duration.

Heya,

So to sum up:
Using cloth on holiday??

xxxxx

Cloth wipes - Fab:thumbup: much better for cleaning off poo and saves you loads of pennies, you also know what you are cleaning their bottom with :thumbup: - No Chemicals :) i use a little solution of water, baby wash, olive oil and tea tree oil this keeps her bum nice and soft from the olive oil and the teeny bit of tea tree is anti bac

i keep my solution in a sports bottle(y'know the one that has a pop up lid that you can squirt the stuff onto the wipes) makes it being easy when you're out too :)

Toiletries - you cant really use any greasy rash creams like sudocreme, tho as long as you change baby regularly enough you shouldnt need it hun..if you are planning on BF? you can express a little onto baby bum if it gets a little sore or use chammomile tea as your wipe stuff which will help any redness:)

Cloth on Hols - i havent had any experience so tbh couldnt comment but i know some ladies have been on hol/are planning on doing cloth while on hols so hopefully they can help....i suppose so long as you can wash them there should be no probs :shrug:

hope that helped some hun

sara

xxxxx

thanks sara great reply!

Can i be cheeky and ask for the preportions of your bottom wipe receipy (wow that sounds gross hehe!) It sounds like a fantastic idea!

also you were mentioning camomile tea for sore bottoms - dumb question but how do you go about doing that? wipe a cold tea bag on thier bottom or what? hehe

thanks!

Cloth wipes, great but keep some disposables handy. I will be using disposables when out for any length of time and if I HAVE to go into hospital I have disposable wipes and nappies packed. I also wouldnt take reusable wipes on holiday unless I had direct access to a washing machine (I supose it depends where you are going on holiday??!) and I would certainly switch from fleece liners to disposable liners in the nappies.
Put a message in 3rd tri re toiletries, get yourself some Lansinoh Lanolin, its good stuff. If you need to use cream generally its a good idea to switch to disposable liners for the duration.

Hi another squish thanks for this reply and the one in the other forum. I send you a reply in third tri with a few more questions..

thanks again xx

WSS as sara tbh.

as for solution, i use

1 cup of cooled chamomile tea (bag removed)
1 teaspoon of olive oil
few drops of lavender oil/tea tree

Take tea bag out and use the cooled tea.
You can shove the mixture in a spray bottle and spray the wipes with the solution lightly before you use, thats the most practical way to use them I have found, I have different spray bottles with different mixtures in....as I often look after children from 1 year to 10 years old all with sensitive skin and one with fairly bad eczema it helps to have various solutions to hand not just for wiping up bottoms!

i use the same (roughly) as TLB, but i add a teeny squirt of whatever baby wash and i use a little more Olive oil justpurely cos daisy gets a dry bottom and this really helps:) and i usually just use water, not chammomile tea...i only use that if she has a sore Bottom as it stains everything LOL

i have personally found that spray bottles are a bit of a faff so i use sports bottles but its just about finding out what works for you TBH :hugs:

sara

xxx

WSS as sara tbh.

as for solution, i use

1 cup of cooled chamomile tea (bag removed)
1 teaspoon of olive oil
few drops of lavender oil/tea tree

thanks,

is that for general use or nappy rash?

does the tea stain the cloth wipes??

xx

you can use it for general use if you want but it does stain wipes, so i just use it for rashes :hugs:

i use the same (roughly) as TLB, but i add a teeny squirt of whatever baby wash and i use a little more Olive oil justpurely cos daisy gets a dry bottom and this really helps:) and i usually just use water, not chammomile tea...i only use that if she has a sore Bottom as it stains everything LOL

i have personally found that spray bottles are a bit of a faff so i use sports bottles but its just about finding out what works for you TBH :hugs:

sara

xxx

thanks sara, really really dumb question....when you say baby wash what do you mean?

the stuff you use to wash them...its not really needed tbh but i stil do :shrug:

Brill you learn a new thing everyday!

I might make concoctions a seperate post as im sure lots of people have lots of little receipies for nappy rash and cleaning etc!!!

Thanks a million girls - im really excited now

We are going to Portugal in April and will be taking cloth nappies. I will make sure I take ones which dry fast, and will wash as often as I can so they have plenty of time to dry. Where we are staying has a washing machine, but I will probably wash them out by hand so I don't have to take loads of nappies and wait for a full load before I wash. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->