Help-finger foods make me nervous

littletobyj

Reaction score
My daughter is 7.5 months, she has been introduced to purée food and some lumpy stuff both savoury and sweet. We are really struggling with savoury and I think she is desperate to feed herself (always wants to grab spoon) so would like to try some finger foods. We have tried the organix rice cakes which she loves chomping to help her teething.
She doesn't have teeth and finger foods scare me from a choking perspective.
It's not the kinds of food more the format-are sticks better to grab and chomp?? What if they manage to bite off a big lump?
If I chop stuff up how small do I make it? Her pincer movement might need some work to be able to pick it up?

Have you tried things that go soft and mushy anyway?
We give ds toast or bread cut into soliders with sunflower spread. Meaning he can hold one end whilst the other is in his mouth and it goes so soft and mushy it breaks into small pieaces anyway.
Also we give ds homemade chips and sweet potato chips. Again they go very soft once in there mouths.
Ds is 5months tomorrow and feeds himself those things with no gaging or choking. The occassional cough is all we get :thumbup:

Hope you find something you can try soon :thumbup:

The best finger food to begin with are things they can hold in their fist and have some sticking out of the top, about the length of your fingers. Try things like toast (I find bread sticks to roof of mouth) cheese, pancakes, soft fruit e.g. banana, melon, mango, pear, avacado, sweet potato wedges, butter nut squash wedges, steamed carrot sticks. Once she's got the hang of that you can start putting smaller peices down that she can pick up using a pincer grip. Try not to worry, babies have a very strong ggag reflex and while it looks scary they are not actually choking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->