Help!! LO being very fussy at the breast :(

Brz04

Reaction score
A few times a day LO gets very fussy at the breast and I can't figure out why! We have been EBF since he was born (4 weeks ago). I have tried switching breasts when he gets fussy (thinking maybe let down is too fast or slow depending on the side??) and rubbing his belly (maybe its gas? - he has had gas problems but would it be gas DURING feeding??) and burping him and nothing really works. He acts like he is still desperately hungry rooting around and everything while he's crying (even if he's eaten plenty off of one side already). I'm so confused and tempted to contact a lactation consultant but didnt know if they could help or not. Maybe he does this because he's tired?? He usually tires himself out after this happens and then falls asleep. He doesn't do this every time he feeds, maybe 2-3 times a day? Any advice welcome!!!

It could well be wind. My LO was incredibly fussy from around 6 weeks as he was just so windy. Is your LO windy at all?

It could well be wind. My LO was incredibly fussy from around 6 weeks as he was just so windy. Is your LO windy at all?

Yes I think he is. We have been giving him gripe water but have been trying to limit it to before bedtime and when he wakes up in the morning. Would he be fussing while eating if its gas/wind?? I figured he would be fussy after eating if that's what it was?? Did you find anything that helped your LO with wind?? Thank you!!

I found infacol (simeticone) worked a bit, but otherwise I hate to say it but nothing else worked, he grew out of it by around 12 weeks. It was always during feeds for us too x

I'm having the same issues, and I know there is milk coming out since I still use a shield with my 29 weeker, now 4 weeks adjusted.

hi, does your LO go on the breast for a few seconds then pull off and cry and repeat again?

I had this with my dd around 4-6 weeks. I thought i did not have enough milk or she had wind but it wasn't that.

After a while I found out she was very tired and couldn't sleep on her own so I would cradle her close to me and rock her, she would immediately calm down and would be asleep within 2 minutes.

My ds has been doing this too. At first thought it was supply issues but he's done it during letdown with milk going everywhere. I think its either gas or tired and can't sleep.

hi, does your LO go on the breast for a few seconds then pull off and cry and repeat again?

I had this with my dd around 4-6 weeks. I thought i did not have enough milk or she had wind but it wasn't that.

After a while I found out she was very tired and couldn't sleep on her own so I would cradle her close to me and rock her, she would immediately calm down and would be asleep within 2 minutes.

Yes that is exactly what he does but he seems wide awake when he does it...could it still be from being tired and not able to fall asleep??

My dd has done it a few times yesterday and today as well. I was starting to worry that my supply wasn't good enough anymore but then I noticed that she wasn't really hungry but wanted to sleep instead. Whenever she did it today, I took her of the breast and carried her until she fell asleep. Which happened pretty much right away.
I hope your lo gets better soon regarding his gas issues! :flower:

It sounds like gas. I had this with my LO and thought it was supply issues. As long as your baby is gaining weight and having enough wet/dirty diapers your supply is fine. I put LO on his back and move his legs like a bike until he passes the gas. Sometimes he would scream for 20 mins +. I also use gripe water (not recommend until 4 weeks) and gas drops. Their digestive system is still very immature and they get gas a lot at this stage.

My baby was doing this because he was gassy. I just started to burp him more often (I was nervous at first but we got the hang of it). Then he stopped. Also consider whether it may be a growth spurt...he may be encouraging your body to make more milk. My advice would be breastfeed as much as you can and do lots of burping! Also peddling their legs helps with gas xx

Yes that is exactly what he does but he seems wide awake when he does it...could it still be from being tired and not able to fall asleep??

Mine was also awake at the times. Try taking him off and rocking him to sleep after burping him and see if he sleeps x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->