helP! Maternity clothes

beancounter

Reaction score
Hello,
silly question, but I am still wearing all my regular clothes, but I saw some nice swimming costumes in mothercare (I'm quite picky because I like a racer or muscle back and don't see many in maternity sizes)- should I buy one now? My regular one is getting small, but they are £22 - will there be growing room? I have never bought maternity wear but I guess there will be some growing room so it lasts a while?

I think they are probably summer stock so they might go hide them soon.

and another stupid question- do I get my regular size before I was pg?

and lastly, when did you all start wearing maternity clothes??

thanks!!

I just bought a maternity swimming costume from mothercare yesterday. It was an one-piece racer back black costume and was £15. I used to be a size 12, but I bought a 14 to be on the safe side, as it's quite a lot to spend on a swimming costume only for it to need replacing if it gets too small.

I was totally confused too! I only started wearing maternity clothes at about 23 weeks or so. Yes you can just buy your regular size before you were pregnant and there is definitely growing room in them so they stretch with you. Dorothy Perkins has some good maternity wear and it's fairly reasonably priced too. I'd buy that swimsuit you saw now - like you said, they'll probably put them away soon as it's getting cold!!

Im still not wearing maternity clothes!! I only have two weeks left at work so im pretty much relying on two pairs of trousers and only do up one button....!!

On the weekend...i wear tracksuit bottoms under the bump and a t shirt and when i'm not going anywhere i stay in pyjama bottoms....

Unless i was really big i intended to get away with buying maternity wear for as long as possible....cant justify spending money on stuff i wont be able to wear afterwards......and if i have to buy maternity clothes from now or in the suture i will buy secondhand!

thanks. I think I will pop over this weekend and buy one a size larger like neecee said then because I know how to take it in and I can always let it out again. I don't think I can do without an actual maternity swimming cossie because the cut of regular ones just doesn't accommodate a bump.. well, not a bump AND boobs and bum all at once anyway :D

29 weeks without maternity clothes- wow :O

I'd try on the costumes to see which fits best. I had a maternity tankini from next and had to have a smaller top than i usually have as it was a really generous fit. Its still a bit baggy now!!

29 weeks without maternity clothes- wow :O

I know!! I think im only just starting to get my growth spurt now.....i was worrying about my size but i feel her moving constantly and the midwives dont seem to be worrying so im looking at the positives!!

and my trousers are only a size 12!

Cor Rachie - I thought I was doing well! I'm 12 and a bit weeks and still have a flat tummy, but yeah like beancounter said - wow! :D

I got a mothercare tankini a couple of weeks ago, got my same size and it's huge! They are super super stretchy and when I first went in the pool the shorts flopped around and the top floated up! It was very annoying. I have fixed the problem by wearing normal bikini bottoms underneath and threaded a cord through the bottom hem so I can pull it tight under my bump. It's no more roomy in the chest dept with my Fs only just fitting in but once went the top will hang almost to my knees so there's plenty of growing space!

I looked at the swimming cozzie in the shop and thought "that'll never fit - it's HUGE!" but of course, when I tried it on it fit like glove. It's much stretchier than a normal one though, so I think there'll be plenty of growing space.

I bought a maternity one at about 10 weeks preg. It didnt fit me but was on sale. I bought a size 10-12 and pre pregnancy i was size 8. It didnt fit me up until 30 weeks but then i didnt need it i just wore a bikini. Now im so greatful for it. It fitted perfect from 34 weeks before was a lil big but still now its a god send and stops me scaring all the lil kids in the pool XxxX

I got a mothercare tankini a couple of weeks ago, got my same size and it's huge! They are super super stretchy and when I first went in the pool the shorts flopped around and the top floated up! It was very annoying. I have fixed the problem by wearing normal bikini bottoms underneath and threaded a cord through the bottom hem so I can pull it tight under my bump. It's no more roomy in the chest dept with my Fs only just fitting in but once went the top will hang almost to my knees so there's plenty of growing space!

yep, you are right, I think mothercare are off on their cossie sizes! I normally get a size 40/14 (not that I am a 40, but I am tall. My bust size is actually a whopping 32) and I tried on a 14 and it was Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooge so I got the 12 and the label said 40/12 so they are obviously figuring out their suit sizes/bust sizes differently to the rest of the world. The 12 seemed to be plenty roomy for now and I guess I will use that size after I have popped the sprog for a while too.

thanks for all your help!
Still interested in hearing other peoples maternity wear hints :D

At the start i think i bloated as i was starving all the time!that was before morning sickness :( so from then i bought some maturnity wear which is not only fitting my belly and falling off the rest of me. I struggle to get anything to fit my legs and ass they just are to baggy. And I aint thin! just got a big belly. I am forever looking about for a pair that will be ok. Bought a pair from budget bumps but its a pet hair and duct attractor :( and to big now.

I'm sat here giggling with embarrassment. With my last pregnancy I thought I'd get some disposable maternity knickers for after the birth so I didn't muck up my normal panties (messy business all that blood:blush:).

So when the time came and I'd given birth I was told I could take a shower....but it was down the corridor. I got all my bits and pieces togeather, had shower and got dressed....went to pull up my disposable knickers and.....oh feck....they wouldn't go past my knees:blush:. They were the size 18-20 ones (I'm a 16-18 usually in maternity wear). I ripped em trying to pull em up and had to throw them in the bin...obviously I hadn't taken any spare ones to the shower room:dohh:. soooooooo I had to stick my huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge night-time maternity pad between my legs and shuffle down the corridor carefully....then I dropped my shampoo just before I got to my room:dohh:. I couldn't risk bending down to pick it up could I so I stood there for 5 mins till someone came close enough for me to ask to get it for me. Goodness that could have all been really embarrassing:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

Moral of story....check your disposable knickers fit before you go to hospital:rofl:

I'm sat here giggling with embarrassment. With my last pregnancy I thought I'd get some disposable maternity knickers for after the birth so I didn't muck up my normal panties (messy business all that blood:blush:).

So when the time came and I'd given birth I was told I could take a shower....but it was down the corridor. I got all my bits and pieces togeather, had shower and got dressed....went to pull up my disposable knickers and.....oh feck....they wouldn't go past my knees:blush:. They were the size 18-20 ones (I'm a 16-18 usually in maternity wear). I ripped em trying to pull em up and had to throw them in the bin...obviously I hadn't taken any spare ones to the shower room:dohh:. soooooooo I had to stick my huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge night-time maternity pad between my legs and shuffle down the corridor carefully....then I dropped my shampoo just before I got to my room:dohh:. I couldn't risk bending down to pick it up could I so I stood there for 5 mins till someone came close enough for me to ask to get it for me. Goodness that could have all been really embarrassing:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

Moral of story....check your disposable knickers fit before you go to hospital:rofl:

:rofl::rofl: Oh god that made me laugh! and I needed that with the mood I am in today.

Will remember that actually. I am not sure if i wil be relieved to see a period after so long I do remember what my mum was like with my sis after it.

Hmmmmmmm, glad you found it funny....I didn't at the time:blush::dohh::rofl:

I am sorry for laughing but if that where me I would be laughing after it. I have done some mental things in my time and I always laugh at myself. Nothing during my pregnancy now other than putting things in wrong places like milk in cupboards but I shall be making up for it in the labour and after wards. And if you had not told me about the disposable knickers I would have bought the wrong size. :rofl:

My mate went in for a knee op under anestitic and they gave him and gown and all. And a hat, so he put it on the sugion was not impressed and thought what the joke was. turns out he was wearing his surgical underware on his head and he wondered why there was two holes in them :rofl: I couldnt stop laughing when I was told this!

lol! awww poor you. Now I am even MORE afraid of going into hospital

sorry you are having a hard time finding clothes dragonfly, Im just wearing low cut trousers at the moment that avoid my region of lardyness... I mean bump. :blush:

I have never bought clothes from mothercare so cant tell you exactly what there sizing is like but all the maternity stuff i have bought I got in exactly the same size as what i used to be!! (not sure ill ever be that size again) :(

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->