Help! Newborn is suddenly vomiting LOADS 15 mins after feed then hungry again :-(

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Our 9 day old has been vomiting her larger feeds for 2 days now. When she feeds for 20 mins she seems ok but when she feeds for 45 mins (ish) she tends to vomit quite a lot but not straight away, around 15 mins later. She wad on my dh's chest just and his t shirt was soaked! We couldn't believe how much there was.

She was crying and rooting straight after so ive put her back on my boob, and she just coughed as if the flow was too quick.

Could it be that since I stopped using shields, she is getting too much too quickly? Im praying she doesnt have reflux as dd1 really suffered with it.

Should I stop her feeding after 20 mins to give her tummy chance to settle? Im so worried about how she will be overnight :-(

What's your supply, let down like. If you have a strong let down and good supply she could have just got a bit too much. She probably wanted to feed so soon after for comfort rather than just hunger.

What's your supply, let down like. If you have a strong let down and good supply she could have just got a bit too much. She probably wanted to feed so soon after for comfort rather than just hunger.

Im not sure what my supply is like, she is putting on weight (went from 6lb3oz to 6lb9oz in 2 days ). How do I know what my supply or let down is like? I wear breast pads but don't seem to leak much.

I'd say it's definitely possible that she's used to having to work harder with the shields. I know it's really concerning and frustrating when it's your baby who's going through it, but it's really not harmful for them to overfeed and vomit up what looks like really large amounts. I agree that it probably startled her and was a little uncomfortable and she was likely rooting for a comfort nurse rather than out of hunger. My son did this a lot as a newborn-- he was a very "suck-y" baby and I had a very strong letdown so he would often eat way more than what he needed and spit up huge amounts. I would attempt to pop him off sometimes when I thought he may have already had enough milk. If he wanted back on, I'd put him back on, but every now and then (especially if he was dozing deeply during the feed), he'd wake up and be like "oh yeah, geez, I've had enough" and stop nursing for a while while his tummy settled. I wouldn't limit feeds in your situation, but I don't see any problem with doing an "are you sure?" little check in to give them a chance to assess their own fullness and delatch. It might not work, and that's okay. It will settle down in time once she adjusts to her new way of nursing and will settle down in general as she gets older. In the meantime, for your own self-assurance, you can keep tracking diapers. If she's vomiting up the milk she needs to keep, you'll be able to tell by a decrease in the amount of wet diapers. I think almost all newborns have bouts of mild reflux that resolves itself with age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->