help

Vickie

Hannah & Rhys <3
Reaction score
Confession time. We were poor growing up and tended to eat cheap canned veggies. As a result I don't know how to cook most of the fresh stuff (well I'm better than I was because we do eat fresh veggies but not squash etc.) So we bought some squash, a slice of pumpkin, a zucchini and a Chinese eggplant for Hannah while out shopping yesterday--and I've never cooked any of these! Any recipe ideas? Or tips on how to cook them?? :help:

Not sure what a chinese eggplant is and I think we call Zucchini's courgettes
all these things can be steamed them mushed if you want
Just cut into smallish pieces first

Not sure what recipes to suggest maybe just do them on their own to begin with so she gets usded to the tastes

If you use any of these in your food you can just blitz it down, does Stan have any chinese style recipes that could be adapted?

Any veggie can be boiled or fried... Squash you can cut them in half and sprinkle with brown sugar and bake them in the oven. Sweet potatoes can be boiled and mashed like reg potatoes.

Thanks we bought some sweet potatoes too, I've never cooked those either :rofl: This should be an adventure

I'm not sure if he has any recipes or not Jo. Honestly we don't eat much Chinese food (I got sick on it during pregnancy :sick:) will ask though, his family eats a lot more variety than I do so he/they may have some ideas.

I was wanting to use these for more finger food type things (soft finger foods of course) because she doesn't like purees all that much :lol:

hi sweetie, i cook all of maddi's veg the same - peeled and chopped, then cover with water and boil till soft. i then just puree it all down in the blender! not very exciting but she likes it :lol:

lol well squash kind of becomes a puree all on its own when its cooked... its a very soft veggie. Soooo good though! One of our favorit things at Thanksgiving.

I didn't even know that Ryder :blush: Ah well she seems to like her squash puree as long as there's another finger food around :lol:

You could always do the oven baked squash and give her half (like a bowl) and let her scoop it out with her hands herself? The outside softens too but its tough so she wouldnt be able to eat it.

You can roast eggplant in the oven and sprinkle it with parmasean(for you! its delicious). But yes, roasted eggplant is deeellicious!

You can roast pumpkin or steam it.

Oh, Vickie I found this website - its got TONS of recipes using some of the ingredients you listed up there.

https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

When you say squash is that like what we call butternut squash?

If it's what I'm thinking it is you could roast it:
preheat oven and put some oil in a ovenproof dish eg lasagne dish in the oven
peel veg and cut into fingers or chunks
put the veg into the hot oil (oil must be very hot, veg should sizzle) and bake in oven til soft -test after 35 mins but prob more like 45 mins.

I would do this with carrots, parsnips, turnip, sweet potato and onion at this time of year and and all but the onion is good finger food. Also nice to put 3 peeled cloves of garlic in the oil, gives a bit of flavour but not too garlicky.

yep butternut squash, should have clarified

great tips!

well I am now cooking the pumpkin (its instructions said to cook as you would a squash) so rubbed some butter and cinnamon on it (thanks for that site Rae ;)) and stuck it in the oven. *fingers crossed* it turns out well :lol:

roasted sweet potato is gorgeous, and if you want some, you can either put some olive oil and rosemary over it before going in the oven, or some honey. Honey roasted sweet potato is soooo lovely!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->