High calorie

lupi

Reaction score
My baby is 35 weeks and weighs 16lb.5oz the health visitor was worried about his weight although I would say he was a good eater. She suggested high calorie foods like double cream on his breakfast and rice puddings custard etc. We are not big pudding people and he generally has fruit. Any suggestions on healthy high calorie foods- if such a thing, appreciated. I tried today with adding double cream to his weetabix and mash tonight and wasnt overly keen.

How about using olive oil in his food instead? Its still fat, so high in calories but its more healthy.
Avocados are full of nutrients but heavy on the cals.
If you are happy to give your little one nuts the pine nuts are quite soft and whizz up nicely. Great in homemade pesto which also has cheese & olive oil.
Oily fish, salmon, mackeral, sardines...
Houmous?
Pate?
Hope these help x

We had issue with kieran weight and after seeing a doc we were advised to put butter in mash and on pasta and yogherts are good too.

and yes olive oil on everything !!

also snacks !! like choc covered rasins when he could manage them....

I was going to suggest olive oil too, we had problems getting Hayden to gain weight...well still do and that was a suggestion we got from the pediatrician. Avocados are also great. Eggs are good, if he can have them yet. Some things that are bad for us because they are high in fats and saturated fats especially are actually good for babies, it's great for brain development according to our pediatrician, they actually need that stuff. So things like beef, Hayden liked just ground beef patties, like a hamburger no toppings or bun..good for iron too

Oh our pedi also recommended putting canola oil in his milk (at the time he was having only rice milk so very little calories and no fat, but canola has almost no flavor and is heart healthy fats. We actually never did it though lol

Can't offer any help as such, but just wanted to say Morgan was the same weight at that age and even now, at a year old, only weighs just over 18.5lb! Not once has the HV said anything about "fattening" her up.... neither has her hospital consultant for that matter?!!

Then again, I know boys should weigh a bit more than girls though. As long as he's happy and healthy, I wouldn't overly worry too much.

Was he a big babe when he was born then? Is that why they're concerned?

Thanks for advice ladies.
He was 6lb7oz when born 29.11.08 and then dropped to 6lb 3oz by 2 weeks. Normally see her every 2 weeks and he normally puts on a good few ozs but didnt see her for 4 weeks due to holidays etc and see expected more. Also he is just starting to get more active so prob wants him to have more to burn. Im not going to worry too much as loves his food and think I would rather stick to heathy things he enjoys dont want to get him into habits that are hard to break. I will however start offering more advacardo and cook with olive oil add unsalted butter to mash etc, and he will be thrilled if we can go mad on yoghurt. When you try and find things that are full fat everything is all reduced this and reduced that- typical!

What a load lof rubbish. There is no need to fatten baby up quickly if they're eating and drinking adequately and have no other health issues then deliberately trying to fatten them up is not good for their longterm health.

This was what happened to us when Abi was a baby.
Abi was below the bottom line on the weight charts and referred to paediatrician, we saw 3 different paediatricians over the next 6months and all of them said it was just her build and the way she was meant to be. She was happy, energetic and although didn't eat a huge amount ate enough (I did food diarys). They all highly advised against deliberately trying to fatten her up by adding cream, butter, cheese to her food as this could cause health probs later.

By all means use olive oil, butter, cream, cheese etc in the cooking and preparation of baby's food but don't add extra amounts deliberately in an attempt to deliberately fatten up.

This is only my opinion and the opinion of the 3 paeds we saw, what you do is up to you. My HV never told me to do this but 2 other HV's that I saw at other baby groups mentioned it and I was confused but after seeing the Dr's and hearing what they had to say I believed what the Drs said made more sense:thumbup:

Thanks again. At the supermarket today a lady stopped to say how cute Austin was and say hello etc and asked how old he was 'oh he is tiny for 8 months my son was a premey and still was much bigger than your son by 8 months' im getting paranoid, so then she asked what I feed him
-weetabix whole milk and banana for breakfast
-cheese on toast or ham sandwich with a yoghurt for lunch
-melon raisens or pear, biscuit, ricecake, fruit loaf etc afternoon snack
- home cooked cottage pie or veg pasta, meat veg type dish and jelly or yoghurt for afters
- milk wise has 8oz in his bedtime bottle (formula) and make up the rest of the pint a day i was recommended to feed with whole milk in drinks and on breakfast cooking etc.
She nearly had a fit saying he should not be on whole milk at his age, too rich for his tummy not till 12 months, I said health visitor has said to intoduce it at 6 months.
So now im feeling im doing a bad job and not feeding him correctly as she spent the next 10 mins saying what I should and shoulnt feed him, said readybreak was more nutritious than weetabix, goats milk!?!, swap my formula from cow and gate followon (6month plus) to a hungry baby formula as was be better for him- surely that would fill him up and make him want to eat less.
So half think ignore the nosey old moo and other half of me thinks does she have a point....
help..
x

I have to confess - i too was told no cows milk till 1 year old !! and tbh kieran was still on formula till well past 3. It simply has more in it !!

You can mix cows milk with other food they just can't have it as a main drink as it doesn't contain enough of the nutrients that baby needs so don't worry about that.

Stop worrying about whatever other people think....it's your baby and has bugger all to do with them:dohh:

This was taken from an NHS website babe
You can start using cow's milk to mix with your baby's food, but you shouldn't give it to them as a drink

Here's the link for you:hugs:

https://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/en/fe/page.asp?n1=1&n2=5&n3=27&n4=49

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"