High Risk for Pre-eclampsia, I want to quit my job

misspriss

Reaction score
Well, I had severe pre-eclampsia that resulted in the premature birth of my son. He was born at 33+5, first symptoms at 31+4. It developed into severe quickly.

At 31+3 I had a (probably a random one off, but the timing could not be worse) high BP reading at OB. That was exactly what happened with DS.

So far, my BP readings have been okay since, OB is having me monitor at home and come back in Friday (32+0) to be reassessed there.

I can't concentrate at work. All I am doing is stressing about the pregnancy, I'm not getting any work done. I'm stressed out to the max right now and trying not to worry, and I feel all I am doing at work is wasting my employers time and money and stressing myself out further. I plan to quit working when the baby is born anyway, I'd really like to quit now.

I have heard that bedrest (which I'm not thinking about doing yet) doesn't really help pre-e that much, but it can usually help keep your BP from getting dangerously high. My gut is just telling me I need to go ahead and quit. I don't know why.

I'm worried that the stress is making me irrational, but on the other hand I'd like to spend a little time being a SAHM to DS alone before the new baby gets here anyway. It would be lovely to have a little time with him anyway.

Am I crazy? Is it just the stress or would it be a good idea to go ahead and quit?

If you're planning to quit after baby's born, then I don't see a problem with leaving early. The only consideration is whether it's be a problem financially.

If you're not sure, could you get sick leave or something? That'd give you a chance to rest at home and see how you feel.

Only you know your own mind, but on the occasions I've left jobs (not when pregnant) I've never regretted it. They were stressful jobs and I felt a huge relief at leaving.

Don't feel obliged to carry on if you really don't want to, but equally just do a mental check to make sure leaving is the right thing to do for you.

No, I'm an independent contractor, so no sick pay. I take off plenty anyway, my MIL was unable to watch Sean Monday so I took the day off. Friday I have a doctors appointment, I'm thinking of just taking the day....

Well, I partially only planned on working until 2 weeks from now anyway, I'll discuss with DH this afternoon. I think he saw me working until I deliver, but I really don't want to wait that long.

I also read part of an (alarming, to me) study that stated that women who worked (at all) were 2.3 times more likely to develop pre-eclampsia. Wish someone had told me that before. I was in a stressful job when I got it with DS (not to mention buying a house at the same time!).

Just throwing ideas out there, but because you're an independent contractor, would it be possible for you to work part-time? That'd be a kind of compromise, I guess.

This is the first pregnancy I've worked full-time during, and I've found it exhausting the last few weeks. I'm very ready to stop!

Forgive me, if I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds to me like you'd really like to stop work. Sorry if I've got that wrong. If that's the case and it's possible for you, then I'd stop. It's obviously worrying you with the research about PE, and I can understand why. If you think you'd benefit by being at home and just relaxing, then I'd do it.

I didn't work at all when I was pregnant with my other children and I was definitely more relaxed. I could set my own schedule at home and rest when I needed to, but now at work I'm always worrying about what I have to do. That can be stressful. Sometimes I do worry about it and feel a bit resentful.

If you're worrying a lot about getting PE again, then maybe it would be best to stop work. That way youd know you were doing as much as you could for yours and baby's health.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks. Yes i want to quit work. I have always wanted to just be a mom, not a working mom. I was supposed to be a SAHM by the time he was 18 months, he just turned two and I am still working. At this rate, he will never have just me at home.

I already work part time, it is still stressful. Not as stressful as the full time job I had when I was pregnant with DS, but still stressful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->