Hives/Allergic Reaction to Breastfeeding!

LunarSpoon

Cautiously Expecting #2
Reaction score
So this is new... son has been EBF the past 6.5 months and just in the last wek or two I've randomly noticed hives on various parts of my body. Thought it was just a fluke the first couple of times, then yesterday my entire torso broke out in painless, itch-less hives while he was nursing. Thought maybe its a food allergy and intended to get a panel done. Its happened numerous times since then, and DH pointed out it only ever happens during or right after a feed. Does anyone know anythin about hives and breastfeeding, or why it is starting now all of a sudden?

I am interested to find out more about this! I'm sorry you're going through that!

I bf my oldest for 9 months no problems but now with baby #2 I have hives!!!! I hadn't connected it to bf but now I wonder.

Wow, crazy! I've never heard of this. I hope its nothing. Fx!!

ETA: A quick Google, since you sparked my interest, says its from hormonal fluctuation. Sounds like most women who got it were in the first few months of nursing though. Hmm

An odd thought, do you get stressed when you breastfeed? I know that sounds like a crazy question because typically breastfeeding is relaxing - BUT I know that I used to get stressed sometimes just because I had stuff to do for my toddler or something but had to (don't be offended, when I say "had to" I don't mean to sound like it wasn't my duty as a mother to do it) feed the baby. When I get stressed I get hives - so just a maybe - a few times you were breastfeeding and stressed about something and it gave you hives, then you started worrying every time you breastfed that it might give you hives and because that was stressful it did?? Long shot? Maybe... but worth a thought! The other thing I can think of is hormones.

I had hives every time I bf in the first two months, I guess it was my hormones coz I used to get hives when I have my periods too...

But I think it settled itself after my AF coming back in the 3rd month (I was EBF too :growlmad:)

And I don't get hives at all now.... It's weird

I got hives on my arms on and off for the first year. they would show up after a shower. so the hormones made me temporarily sensitive to the soap I use. the body does weird things!

Thanks for the responses, guys! Still dealing with the hives, they have now started to burn and itch for about 10 minutes when they first appear and gradually fade over an hour or so. I've had them on my back, arms, face, stomach, boobs, legs... you name it. They're big, too, and very angry looking. Tried Claritin to see if it'd tame the reaction, and it did nothing. :shrug: Just going to be one of those things I'll have to suck up and deal with until LO is weaned! Which is hopefully not anytime soon!

Thanks for the responses, guys! Still dealing with the hives, they have now started to burn and itch for about 10 minutes when they first appear and gradually fade over an hour or so. I've had them on my back, arms, face, stomach, boobs, legs... you name it. They're big, too, and very angry looking. Tried Claritin to see if it'd tame the reaction, and it did nothing. :shrug: Just going to be one of those things I'll have to suck up and deal with until LO is weaned! Which is hopefully not anytime soon!

I think anything that is a sudden change and didn't happen before under the same circumstances needs double checking at the Dr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->