Home birth after a C Section

Fish&Chips

Mum of two
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I have been told by various midwives both after my son's birth and my new mw with this pregnancy that I have to deliver my 2nd in hospital due to having an EMCS last time but a friend on this site has just told me this isn't the case.

I went in to spontaneous labour with my son at 41 weeks and had an epidural as he was back to back and I was pushing from only 2cm dilated which I couldn't stop. I got all the way to 10cms and pushed for over an hour. They found that he hadn't turned properly as he dropped down pretty quickly (I went from 2-10cms in less than 4 hrs) and he had a very large head! His ear was facing the exit and they tried to turn him using vontouse which failed. So they then performed a csection.

I would really appreciate your advise. x

You dont HAVE to do anything you dont want to do. If you want to have a home birth after a c-section then that is entirely your choice.

I have had 2 emcs and I am planning a home water birth for August.:thumbup:

Just educate yourself so you feel confident enough to tell them exactly what you plan to do.:flower:

Thank you. I'm completely ignorant to the whole thing at the moment so I guess this was my first step of researching in to it. Will be attacking Google over the next few months!

Yea I would research it more and then make your decision from there. The reason most MW or drs want you to deliver in the hospital after a prior c-section is because you have a risk of the scar tissue from the previous c-section rupturing and harder time to stop the bleeding. I wanted to try a VBAC after my first c-section but didn't want to take the chance. Now that I am pregnant and going to have another c-section, my risk for a vaginal birth now would greatly increase of rupturing especially if he's a big baby. Seeing that I don't want to take any chances, I am going to have an elective c-section this time around with a tubal ligation.

I do deal with these decisions on a daily basis since I am an OB nurse, and most doctors here in the US will tell you that you must have a c-section after the having 2. I do know that you can have a vaginal birth after having c-sections, just it's not advised.

Hope this helps.. and remember the internet can be your friend and enemy at the same time. Good luck!

Ultimately it's your decision. In lots of areas they are happy to support HBAC these days. My friend is today celebrating the anniversary of her HBA4C - home birth after 4 previous sections. :)

You don't 'have' to do anything you don't want to - if you want a home birth there is absolutely nothing stopping you. I doubt you will have the same problem again second time round - it might not be 'normal', but more and more women are choosing to home birth after caeserean and have successful, vaginal deliveries :hugs:

Thanks ladies. As well as the research I am going to see how big the baby is looking (and more importantly how big it's head is!) at my scan in a couple of weeks. Also I will be meeting with a consultant soon.

Scans can be wrong. They can be very wrong. And big babies come out of vaginas at home....because women are well supported and moving instinctively....even 11lb plus VBAC babies!

Scans can be wrong. They can be very wrong. And big babies come out of vaginas at home....because women are well supported and moving instinctively....even 11lb plus VBAC babies!

Just what I was coming in to say. Lots of women who have had first babies get 'stuck', apparently due to size, and end up with sections or instrumental deliveries go on to deliver babies, 1, 2 even 3lbs bigger at home without any problems at all

xxx

Hi fish&chips, we were on the new to charting thread together ages ago!
I also had an emcs and am on track for my hbac this time. My consultant has said it's against medical advice but thankfully I have a v supportive midwife! What's your midwif saying?

Hi Fife! I remember you from that thread! Congrats on being pregnant again. That's interesting to know. I haven't spoken to my mw about it yet. I have a MW appointment at the hospital a week Monday so plan on asking about it then (not sure why it's at the hospital).

Hmm odd. I had my consultant appt after my 20wk scan, it's not at your scan appt is it? I also saw a m/w who did the usual BP checks etc. I'm supposed to see the consultant again at 36 wks but I think I might decline that appt! I spoke to my m/w about HB at my booking appt, thinking the answer would be no and I'd be offered MLU, instead she was really positive. It probably helped that I was able to refer to the most recent stats on risk of rupture etc. The VBAC thread in labour section has lots of references on the front page. I'd also suggest looking at this article and this one.

Thank Fife, that's really helpful. Yes the appointment is an hour and a half before my scan. It doesn't mention a consultant though??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->