Home Birth after Previous 3rd Degree Tear

Jenegade

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just been to speak to my doctor about my previous 3rd degree tear. I'm planning a home birth and had a completely easy, quick birth with no pain relief the first time (in hospital though), only complication is that I had a 3rd degree tear and had to get a spinal anaesthetic to be stitched up.

The doctor is concerned that it will happen again and will need to be transferred back to hospital after baby is born to get stitched up again. She mentioned the possibility of a planned episiotomy (?) at home to reduce the chance of tearing and also the midwife holding the head to control the birth speed (it was too fast last time and so I tore).

Has anyone had a home birth after a bad tear? I still want a home birth, but would like some more reassurance!

Thanks

Cant help personally but I do know people who have torn 1st time and not the second. I'd still rather have a HB even if I ended up needing transfered to hospital.

Thanks BunnyN, I still want a home birth, either way I'll probably have to wait a few hours until they would fit me in for surgery. Much better to have a relaxing birth at home and then transferred than a rushed, stressed birth in the hospital (or car on the way there, as I had a quick first birth).

Not sure whether to have a planned epsiotomy, there's still the chance I could tear on the old scar tissue and have 2 bits to stitch up. I also want to be in the pool to give birth, but the Dr thought that I should birth on dry land as then the midwife can keep an eye on me and try and control the birth of the head. I thought that the pressure of the water would help slow the head down though...

https://homebirthersandhopefuls.com/birth-stories/birth-pool/after-serious-tear/

You are reducing your chances of having another 3rd degree tear by being at home. I wouldn't choose an episiotomy, I'd stay in the pool and use the ability to move around to your advantage as laying on your back increases the risk of a tear

xxx

I think water birth reduces the risk of tearing too. Don't forget that doctors often recomended what is easier for them rather than better for you. They don't really mean to most of the time but they are only human. A lot of doctors seem to think an episiotomy is better than a tear (ie easier to stitch up). All the women who I know who have had both said the episiotomy is much worse though. In your case because of the scar tissue I don't know if that changes things but I'm sure there will be other women who can help.

I had a friend who had a 4th degree tear after an episiotomy with her first one, but not any of the next three.

I had a 3 rd degree with my first, like you I had to have the spinal block to be stitched up afterwards.
With my second I wanted waterbirth, my consultant said it would be up to the midwives on the day to see how l labour was progressing. Unfortunately I had to be induced due to my waters breaking but not actually labouring. I managed to stay upright, gave birth with no pain medication and only had a slight graze. I think what helped the most was that I refused to lie down! I gave birth on all fours on the back of the bed and had controlled delivery of the head. I was very shocked to hear I hadn't torn as this had got me so nervous about the birth. It can be done!

I have heard like some have said that position can really help avoid tearing. I had a 2 nd degree tear and it was so painful it's making me anxious about my second birth...last time I was on hospital on my back this time I hope to be at home squatting, or on all fours.

GL x

I delivered in the McRoberts and didn't even have a slight tear let alone that ground sausage that I was left with after the 1st one! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->