Home birth with GD

Stardust1

Reaction score
I need some advice ladies, I have been given the green light for my home birth by my midwife, then today I had a phone call from the hospital saying the result of my glucose tolerance test says I have gestational diabetes and they wanted to see me today. They only did the test as I have PCOS, I'm not overweight and I don't have any other symptoms although my first son was over 9lb at birth. My sugar level was only just over the limit, but the diabetes midwife said it would be unlikely they'd let me go ahead with my home birth now as the baby would need to be monitored for 24 hours after birth and that they'd not let me go over 40 weeks. I'm so gutted, I really really wanted to have my boy at home, I'm not comfortable at all in hospitals and being induced is my worst nightmare. Has anyone in the UK been told they have GD yet still had their home birth?

Hiya,
I was wrongly diagnosed a few weeks ago with GD and the first thing I was told was that I would have to deliver in hospital :-( they were adamant about it too, fortunately I have had a repeat test and am clear and don't have it so can have my home birth.

I think you need to discuss it with your midwife and consultant and see if there is any way they would support you in the birth that you want.

Obviously, the worry for medical staff is baby weight with GD (ie growing a baby too big for you to birth) so if you want them onside, getting scanned around 37-39 weeks will be your best bet.

It'll be hard for them to argue against a normal sized scan guesstimate.

However, there is no 'allowed' if you want a homebirth, have one. Legally they have to send someone to attend you whether they agree or not. I had a good fight for homebirth with my last baby, but I found arming myself with facts, staying calm but firm ultimately won in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->