Home birthing a big baby

aliss

Reaction score
So, I think I'm going to have a big baby. #1 was 9lb 3oz (hospital shoulder dystocia - on my back with epidural). #2 is another boy, and now cooking longer than #1 did!

So, I'm guessing 9-10lb is pretty reasonable estimate.

I've already read Ina May's books 10,000x. Any other advice for home birthing a big baby boy??? Experiences? I know squatting/open pelvis is critical for me particularly with the past dystocia but what other tips/tricks???

My mom is (hopefully) going to be a birth partner too and she did an 11lb'er at 4'11, amazing! So I am inspired!

Well I didn't have a big baby (7lb 2oz) but I did have a home birth and these are the things that made it easier for me :flower:

I walked, a lot. I kept myself moving and didn't sit down, when it got particularly intense I leaned against something and let gravity do its job :haha: When I got into my pool (don't know if you have a pool or not?) I knelt in it with my arms on the sides for support and I kept changing positions. I found the water really soothing so if you don't have a pool I'd recommend a bath, but not too early on because it can slow things down.

When he was born I think it was because I got out of the pool and went and sat on the toilet, got things moving more.

I have to say I didn't consciously 'push', I just let my body do what it wanted and it took care of it all.

Good luck! I've been wondering when he was going to make his appearance :haha:

Thanks!! That's a good point about the toilet, I think that will help with squatting a lot.

And your guess is as good as mine, this thing is just baking till golden brown eh?

You know my story already, so my advice may not be great as I did end up dealing with shoulder dystocia! I'm sure what popped him out in the end was my leg being raised so high to get out of the pool. The first stage, I spent mainly squatting and kneeling. Relaxing into the contractions was really helpful. Around transition, relaxation didn't work for me and I found I had to push against the feeling, SO good! As he started crowned, I was very aware of easing him gently, and did little puffs and kept a steady push going, massaging the skin over his head with my fingers (sorry if tmi!). When he didn't come out, I went through lots of different positions, but as I said, getting my leg uncomfortably high was the clincher.

Good luck! I keep stalking to see if there are any signs yet :haha: Can't wait to hear your birth story and hopefully some pictures of your lovely little (ish!) one!

Edit: I should add, you probably know already, but it's even more crucial with big babies to be guided by your body. The last thing you want to do is push before the baby is in the right place.

Thank you Tacey!!! Actually your story was VERY helpful as if it does happen again, I can better cope with it :)

Listen to the pushes... good idea. Common sense, but something I didn't do with #1!!!!

And ZERO signs LOL

I have no advice, but my doula birthed a 10lb 9oz baby at home with no problems and she's tiny. It's doable. Just have faith in your body to know what you're capable of.

Is your midwife familiar with Gaskin's experiences with shoulder dystocia (and all the successful outcomes)? I borrowed both the recent book and a super 70's book "Spiritual Midwifery" from my midwife - if you haven't read that, it would pass the time until baby comes out, and it a trip with all the pictures - lots of low tech emergent situations, too. Anyway, it comforts me that the midwife would recommend those birthing stories to me because I know she's read them too, and has familiarity with ideas such as the "Gaskin Method". I'm guessing your midwife does as well, so she can guide you.

By the way for what it's worth, my midwife likes to tell the story of one baby that she "caught", 11lbs 9oz, and she swears it practically fell out while the lady was squatting (was a second birth).

Thanks girls! I will have faith! Even if most don't and think I am insane for even trying this ;) Personally I feel insane going to the hospital though.... just IMO lol.

I believe my midwife is familiar, I will ask her again on Tuesdya at my appointment. Ina's books are not translated into French but I did see it on her shelf and she is fairly bilingual but I will clarify

Oh and I'm quite happy to have an 11lb just fall out! Thanks!

I have a friend who's had 2 HBAC with babies almost 10 and one over 11lb. She had previous slight SD at home but managed quite easily :)

#2 could be average, you just never know. Anyways, being in upright positions really helps as your pelvis is to it's maximum. The size of the baby doesn't normally cause complications unless abnormally large (I'm talking 14+ lbs). Most women who have 10 lb babies have them vaginally. It is just as common to have shoulder dystocia with a small baby, and some even say smaller babies are harder to birth than larger babies.

I recently read the SOGC guidelines on screening for GD and there's this fun fact about shoulder dystocia, found on page 4:

"Shoulder dystocia (SD) occurs in 1%–2% of pregnancies, with the majority of cases occurring in non-macrosomic fetuses."
https://www.sogc.org/guidelines/public/121E-CPG-November2002.pdf

So the majority of SD cases are in babies under 4000g.

Like you said, last time you were on your back with an epidural which no doubt was the major contributing factor, not the size of your baby.

Don't worry. :hugs:

I love this article on minimising the chance of SD:

https://midwifethinking.com/2010/12/03/shoulder-dystocia-the-real-story/

Good luck, not that you'll need it, hopefully this baby will be a stand-up-and-sneeze job... Gravity LIKES bigger babies ;)

Thanks girls!

He was only 8lb 7oz at 41 weeks. No SD although spent the last hour pushing at hospital as the midwives were concerned the long pushing might have gotten him into a higher risk of sd

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->