Home brithing without the pool?

T

Toms Mummy

Hi, Most of what I have read or heard from friends about home birthing tends to involve a pool. Like it's a necessity for a home birth.

I couldn't home birth with my LO as he was 4 weeks early and they were worried that he might not be mature enough... which he wasn't. But I'd really like to try again next time but without a pool. Is this allowed? Do the midwives frown upon it?

If you didn't use a pool was it messy? Where did you have your baby? I like the idea of puting matress down stairs in front of the log burner (if it's winter) :)

Hi, Most of what I have read or heard from friends about home birthing tends to involve a pool. Like it's a necessity for a home birth.

I couldn't home birth with my LO as he was 4 weeks early and they were worried that he might not be mature enough... which he wasn't. But I'd really like to try again next time but without a pool. Is this allowed? Do the midwives frown upon it?

If you didn't use a pool was it messy? Where did you have your baby? I like the idea of puting matress down stairs in front of the log burner (if it's winter) :)

Although I did have a pool, I didn't actually birth in it. I used it for about an hour, but that was it. It wasn't a necessity at all! The midwife didn't really care where I was. I called the shots. In the end, lo was born in the bathroom. It isn't hugely messy, localised mess though! We got big plastic sheeting from b&q, then towels (dark though), and some of the mattress protectors from mothercare. We didn't use any of it because of wipe clean bathroom floors!

Hope this is of some help :)

You don't need a pool for a homebirth :) I've never heard of a MW frown upon a woman not using a birthing pool. A pool is lovely for those who want them, but there are the good thing about a home birth is you have plenty of birthing options. I had one set up with ds2, but I birthed in my living room, away from the pool.

Nope, i'm just planning a straight forward home birth without a pool. May use baths if I feel like it. Luckily the local midwives here have been really relaxed about it all, taken it in their stride :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->