Home water birth experiences?

Amygdala

Reaction score
Hi! Would anyone like to share thir home water birth experiences with me? What equipment did you use and where did you get it? How did your midwives handle it? How did it work, did you know who was going to assist you? How did you feel about the experience straight after? Did you have any problem or regrets? Would you do it again?
Thank you!

I'll happily share my story :flower:

My birth was amazing, I absolutely loved it and plan on doing the same for my next LO.

All I had was the pool which we bought ourselves, think it was called a birth pool in a box. We got a liner with it which we will just replace for next time. My labour started on a Friday evening, at that point I wasn't sure but it got stronger through the night. My husband called the midwives at 3am and they told us to call again when my contractions were 3 mins apart. Mine were never regular though so I just went by my instinct and told him to call them over at 6am.

He set up the pool in our lounge and my mum and a midwife arrived. I didn't know the midwife but she was very good. I got in the pool and she just let me get on with it really. I refused examinations, I didn't want to know how far along I was, all I allowed was monitoring of LO's heartbeat.

A second midwife arrived at about 10am and she was the midwife I'd had throughout my pregnancy. They got me out of the pool to go to the toilet and it must have shifted things because all of a sudden his head was there and I thought I was going to give birth on the toilet! They dashed me back to the pool and his head was out a couple of minutes later, shortly followed by the rest of him.

I didn't have any pain relief, gas and air was available but I didn't think I needed it. I refused the option of having pethidine there because I didn't want to be tempted by it.

I had a natural third stage and delivered the placenta about 20 mins later.

It was an amazing experience and I'm so glad I did it! Would really recommend doing it :flower:

Thanks for your reply! Would you mind telling me a bit more about the birth pool you used? How long did it take to set up? How is the water heated/kept warm? How stable is? Can you lean on the side? Did it make a mess? Not to go into too much detail but the bathroom attached to the labour room where I had LO ended up in a bit of a state so I'm slightly worried about our carpets. :haha:

I had one planned (pool set up, supportive midwives) but found my shower to give better relief and didn't even bother with the pool! But I think it's important to have the option available. I'm glad I had the choice!

It took about half an hour to set it up and fill it, but DH wants a pump next time to make it easier :haha: He did have to keep monitoring it and warming it up, the midwives helped with that.

I spent most of my time in it leaned over the side with my chin on the top of it, it was plenty stable :flower: As for the mess, we laid big shower curtains and towels down on the floor and the pool went on top of it.

I guess the worst bit was that it had to be emptied afterwards, which my mum and DH dealt with. They had to fill up buckets of it and chuck it down the toilet. It took a while and of course water after you've given birth in it isn't the prettiest :wacko: But other than that the mess is manageable, the liner was removed and thrown away and the lounge put back together reasonably quickly.

I've had 2 water births at home, 2 different experiences but both amazing! First one was calm and I just breathed through the pain, the 2nd stage took about 2hrs and was HARD work. I gave birth in a semi-recumbent position in the pool. Second time was shorter but WAY more intense so I had G&A but the 2nd stage was a lot easier and felt really good, plus I gave birth in a kneeling/squatting position. Both times the midwives left me to it (as requested) and I pulled both babies up myself, which made it extremely special for me. It was in my birth plan to do this.

Second birth, we used a La Bassine, which was already inflated since 39weeks, but we inserted the liner when I went into labour. Underneath we put huge tarpaulins and good job we did because I'm always sick in labour, plus this time there was rather a lot of poo to evacuate (sorry TMI...) We also had a pump to get rid of the water straight into the outside drain.

I've never had a hospital birth so I can't comment on those, but my midwives have all been great. It's good to have a birth plan stating clearly the things that are important to you. It's the best place to be when its over, and you can relax in your own home.

Good luck :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"