• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Homebirth supply master list?

angiepie

Reaction score
My midwife gave me a list of non medical supplies I should get for the birth, but being the super organised person I like to be, I'm wondering if there's some kind of jumbo master list on here or somewhere online I could look at to see if I want anything extra for any reason...anyone know if such a list exists?

Tia!

Sorry, can't help with any list. But was wondering what you were told to collect (I'm in NZ, so was just interested in comparing).

Let me get my folder out and I'll get back to you.

Here's the list. It's just a guide and MW will be providing all the medical stuff and the birth pool.

-4 old towels (several more if birthing in water)
-2 old sheets
-3 packets of super pads
-2 baby wraps
-large plastic sheet to cover birthing area
-2 ice cream buckets- one for vomit, one for placenta
-1 or 2 hot packs
-warm socks
-food for mother and attendants during and after birth
-bottles of coconut water or sports drink for rehydrating (I will probably make labourade)
-packet of salt for removing blood stains
-ice cubes and ice trays, ice blocks in plastic packets for sore lady parts afterwards (I am going to make witch hazel pads)
-tissues
-pillows and cushions
-heater to warm room
-plastic sieve or fish net to use as poo scooper in pool
-pool liner
-relaxing music
-panadol and/or naprogesic for after birth pains

Have all items together in 2 plastic bags- mother and baby, keep up food and fluids in esrly labour, have your list of phone numbers handy.

---

There's several things I can think of off the top of my head that one may want- bean bag, birth stool, massage oils, essential oils, homeopathy and so on, massager tools, more baby things like nappies and clothes, swimmers or too for the birth pool for me and support person, and so on. I'm sure there's plenty more which is why I'm looking for a list.

That list is great with my last home birth I was just told plastic sheeting and some old towels but what I wasn't told was one or two towels to clean the baby and wrap them in and they need to be nice new soft towels x

Here in NZ, most of the medical supplies/linen is supplied in a bag/box by the homebirth midwife. She gave me sanitary pads, towels for baby, a waterproof bed liner, waterpoof birthing mats and a variety of other disposable things I haven't figured out yet!
She also brings the pool which has all the liner, the floor mat, the scooper etc with it.
She also gave me the ecbolic injection to keep in my fridge for the day.

She takes all the dirty linens away at the end.

The only things I've been asked to collect are:
- towels for me to get in and out of the pool with
- sports drinks (which I hate, so am not going to get)
- flannels
- a bag of ice
- a container for the placenta
- a bucket
- a heater for the room
- any bits and pieces like music, food etc I may want.

Having had a homebirth before, it's pretty straightforward and I think the list you have is probably quite comprehensive.

All the best!

I had 2 boxes. One was essential stuff like towels, pads, paracetamol, plastic sheets, bucket, sieve, a few pairs of big knickers and all the pool stuff.

The other was my pamper box which had sweeties, snacks, massage oil, tens machine, scented candle, straw and drink, cds, clean pjs for me and outfit for baby, camera, hot water bottle, and probably loads of other little bits I could grab throughout the day. Plus I put a few copies of my birth plan in there so everyone could have a read on the day.

Good tip....abit of water in the bottom of the bucket makes it easier to pour away the vomit or scooped poo lol....sorry to be abit graphic but it made it abit easier on my OH who is abit squeamish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->