Homebirth UK

Alyssa Drough

Reaction score
Just planning ahead here...

My birth with my DD was almost 100% natural in the birth centre/MLU attached to the hospital. No complications, no monitoring except a doppler every now and again, and no pain relief.

The ONLY thing I had to help was an episiotomy due to a rigid perineum according to my notes. This obviously resulted in stitches.

So I was wondering if next time I try a home birth, what would happen if I needed an episiotomy again or ended up tearing? I'm guessing I would have to go to hospital to get stitched up so would it just be easier to go back to the birth centre???

They can do stitches at home according to my homebirth mw... in a home birth you have a senior (very experienced) mw and a secondary midwife... they bring everything they need incl stuff to stitch any tears etc...

Unless you have a very serious tear they will deal with it at home. X

Yep, I had a second degree tear, and was stitched at home.

If you needed an episiotomy you woudl have to be transferred

Forgot to add, make sure you look into perineal massage, I think using olive oil can also help"soften" it up

Just make sure you have a really good light so they can see. Thats the reason you mighy have to go in according to my mw, unless you dont stop bleeding.

There are lots of things you can do to make sure that you are able to "release" on the day... it can be physical or emotional or both. The fact that a baby has passed through before should help :)

(Please tell me to butt out if this is too nosey) how long was your pushing phase last time? Was the baby in distress at all? I am wondering why they didn't allow more time for your perineum to soften and stretch if there were no complications...?

Water? I spent a long time of my labour in water and I didn't have any tearing at all and ds was over 10lb.
Xx

I was pushing for an hour and a half. Baby was monitored with a doppler after every few contractions but was fine.

The midwife did ask for a wheelchair and had arranged to transfer me to the main delivery suite but I don't entirely know why - I think maybe she was thinking I might need forceps, but I really didn't want to be moved so I just went for it and she was out 10 minutes later!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->