Homebirth wannabes preggo chat

NDH

5 on earth, 9 in heaven, 1 in utero
Reaction score
If youre pregnant and planning a homebirth, this is the place for you :).

I'm expecting my third baby and planning my first homebirth (wanted homebirths the previous two pregnancies but was not in a position to attempt one). However at the moment it looks like I might be forced into choosing between hospital or freebirth, both of which are causing me a lot of anxiety. Hospital is not happening though, notn unless inta an absolute emergency.

Anyway I'd love to chat with other like minded mamas and mamas to be about the joys and anxieties of home birthing. :cloud9:::flower"

Hey mama! I am also planning my first home birth ; with baby number 2. My first son was born at a local birth center med free completely naturally and I am so excited for my home birth!
We are going to start interviewing midwives next month, and are having prenatal care that is hooked up with a local birth center just in case but we also may also be going for a UC if we can't find a hands off midwife.

Awesome :). I had two drug free births in a hospital midwife led birth unit, though my first was augmented with syntocinon. I always wanted a homebirth but couldn't afford one before now so I'm so excited to finally be planning one :)

Unless things change in the near future I'm going down the UC route as well as the only PPM in the area isn't practicing currently and the nearest one willing to travel is three hours away.

How is your partner feeling about having a UC?
Will you be seeing a provider during your pregnancy?

When I learned the midwife isn't practicing I was pretty stressed cause I didn't think there was any way he'd agree to a UC. I brought it up by saying I had found a midwife willing to travel, but as shes 3 hours away we'd need to prepare for the possibility of the baby being born before she arrived. He was fine with that and started asking questions about the cost and if we'd still have to pay the midwife if she didn't make it. So then I brought up the idea of not having a midwife at all - just him and me and my doula and someone for the kids. We talked at length about it and he was surprisingly cool about it. So that was a major weight lifted.
He seems to have forgotten about ir though as two days ago he started talking about the mkdwkife and I reminded him we weren't having one and he was like "no one at all? I don't think I'm comfortable I with that" :dohh: I reminded him about our earlier conversation and he said it did sound familiar :dohh: I think he's back on board though, after more assurances that if I have any indication or intuition something isn't right I'll get him to call an ambulance and reminded him how close we are to the hospital. It might be worth getting him his own doula though :haha:

For antenatal care, I plan to do most of it myself. I have heard about a midwife who has just opened an antenatal clinic one day a week (unfortunately not the day I can get childcare though) who is very woman centered and not medical centered, so I will probably start seeing her at 24 weeks or so just so I have a record of having received antenatal care if I do need to transfer or something.

That all sounds so wonderful! I hope it all works out perfectly for you <3 my partner is worried about something being wrong with baby an not having someone there to assist if that did happen but he doesn't believe babies are meant to be born in a hospital at all and they freak him out so I know he isn't interested in that route what so ever haha! Hopefully we'll find someone we can call of need be that can respect my wishes with labor/delivery/after baby comes just to ease my SO's worries lol
we are going to do our infant CPR certification in a few months also so I believe that'll help him feel better about it all as well.

Thats definitely my husbands main concern too - what if something happens to the baby that because of something easily preventable. I bet an infant CPR course would help him feel more assured too, I wonder if I can find one here. And of course there's the added pressure from being more responsible without a birth attendant there. In a normal, ideal situation he won't have to do anything, not even catch the baby cause I can do that, but he's worried about the what ifs, understandably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->