Homemade ice-lolly ideas please

MumToEva

Reaction score
Bought some ice lolly moulds in M&S yesterday, and I'm looking for some ideas for lollies. Ideally of the no added sugar variety if possible.

Tried blitzed apple mixed with natural yogurt overnight, and while my daughter was delighted with it, it seemed less than tasty to me!

We made a number of different ones last year and most of them were based on Annabel Karmel's recipes. All yummie! But for something super quick and still really tasty, I bought some fruit puree pots for babies, added a spoon full of honey and froze. Delish!

ETA: I put the puree and the honey in lolly moulds first of course

if you google baby purees it will come up with loads of puree ideas, just simply add some water & maybe a bit of juice or honey to add flavour & freeze.

LO loves apple & strawberry ones :) xx

Pretty much as others have said, use fruit purees, some fruit juice, a bit of honey. I found if I didn't use something as a sweetener, like honey, sometimes they froze a bit too hard to get out of the molds. A bit of sweetener, like honey, will help them to freeze a little softer to get out of the mold, and gives just enough aded sweetness to the popsicle. Also, you can run mold under hot water a few seconds to help remove them too, if they are frozen too hard in the molds. Had to do that several times.

We love fruit puree ones, plain yogurt, fruit and honey is amazing, or anything with frozen bananas. Infact just a frozen banana is a hit with DS and myself.

He always wants a coloured lolly from the icecream man so we made some. We just got some apples chucked em in the juicer added water and teeny drop of food colouring and he was made up.
Home made slushies are a hit aswell.

I like freezing smoothies in Popsicle molds. Our go to smoothie is usually banana, coconut milk, and blueberries. Yum!

A smoothie that we really love that I think I will try freezing next is 2 tsp chia seeds, coconut milk (mix and let stand for about 10 min first), banana, natural peanut butter, and cocoa. Delicious and I think it would make a great frozen treat.

I like freezing smoothies in Popsicle molds. Our go to smoothie is usually banana, coconut milk, and blueberries. Yum!

A smoothie that we really love that I think I will try freezing next is 2 tsp chia seeds, coconut milk (mix and let stand for about 10 min first), banana, natural peanut butter, and cocoa. Delicious and I think it would make a great frozen treat.

Have you read Sarah Wilson's quitting sugar book? That sounds like her kind of recipe! :flower:

Might sound weird but: Avocado, lime juice and zest, water, and (sorry!) just a tiny bit of sugar. So yummy, creamy and zingy. Yes they contain sugar but they are also very nutritious from the avocado.

If you're not opposed to sugar free pop, we do chunks of fruit in the lolly mould then fill it up with sugar free sprite, it looks so colourful and appealing. I always try to use different coloured fruit to make a rainbow.

Might sound weird but: Avocado, lime juice and zest, water, and (sorry!) just a tiny bit of sugar. So yummy, creamy and zingy. Yes they contain sugar but they are also very nutritious from the avocado.

If you're not opposed to sugar free pop, we do chunks of fruit in the lolly mould then fill it up with sugar free sprite, it looks so colourful and appealing. I always try to use different coloured fruit to make a rainbow.

Thanks! Will try the avocado one - might try it with some honey instead of white sugar. My husband loves avocado, so he'll probably love that one. Not sure about LO as so far she's not that keen on avocado,but this might be the thing that makes her like it!

Sugar free drinks aren't for me, but again, thanks!

The sprite one would probably work just as well with lemon water or diluted apple juice, you just want something nice and clear so the colours of the fruit really pop.

I don't really like avocado either, but the lime really makes it for me.

Have fun, you've made me want to make lollies now.

Have you read Sarah Wilson's quitting sugar book? That sounds like her kind of recipe! :flower:

No, I haven't. Maybe I should look into it. Giving up sugar sounds like a great idea!

The avocado recipe sounds delicious! I would also do honey instead of sugar. I have a recipe for "key lime pie" that uses a similar recipe for the filling. It is one of my favorite things. SO good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->