Honest opinions on Emelyn?

KittieB

Reaction score
Honest opinions of the name Emelyn? Nn Emmy? I heard it a couple years ago and fell in love, hubby likes it too, but I worry that it sounds too made up. I love that it combines my middle name (Emma) and my Mum's name (Linda). But I don't like how "made up" it sounds and how it will constantly get confused with Evelyn/Emmeline. What do you all think? Please be honest!

Umm I think it's ok. I was actually wondering if it was a boys or a girls name. It's like Evelyn (which I'm considering as a girls name) but also like Emmet (which is clearly a boys name). I think people will get confused and think it's a different name at first but they will get used to it. You may just end up calling her Em or Emma for short?

Since you asked for honesty, it does sound a little "made up" to me. Reminds me of a creative variation of Evelyn. If you don't want that "unique" vibe, I'd maybe go for Emmeline? Or would you consider Emma-Lynne?

I associate Emlyn with a boys name (Emlyn Hugh's?) I know the spellings different but it's the same pronounciation

Love Evelyn and Emmaline though! 2 of my favourite names

I dont love it. I love Emma. I love Emmy as a nickname. But yeah, not really feeling Emelyn.

How do you pronounce it? is it emee lyn or em lyn :wacko:

I associate it as a boys name as a PP said Emlyn Hughes and a good male friend of mine is named Emlyn

It does look made up to me. I love Emmeline, though.

I like it! But I've also never heard of Emlyn Hughes. So it doesn't sound boy to me at all.

I think of it as a boys name. Again the emlyn Hughes connection. He was actually from my home town so obviously rather well known round here. I guess not as famous in other areas so people won't automatically think of him. When I actually think about it, it does sound quite feminine

I think of it as a boys name. Again the emlyn Hughes connection. He was actually from my home town so obviously rather well known round here. I guess not as famous in other areas so people won't automatically think of him. When I actually think about it, it does sound quite feminine

Are you from barrow?!

I assumed it was a variation or Emlyn (masculine). I would give a girl a "boys" name, so to me it sounds fine (although I'd go with the original spelling) but if that's not your jam I'd maybe avoid it.

Are you from barrow?!

Yes I am. Are you?

Thanks everyone - I've seen it on some name sites and it does exist as an actual name, it's pronounced like Evelyn but with a "m".

I've never heard of Emlyn Hughes so don't associate it as being masculine.

I do love Emmeline as well, but I prefer the "lyn" ending rather than "line" or "leen".

Are you from barrow?!

Yes I am. Are you?

I am ☺️ Well, Dalton x
Really?! Small world!

I like the name, and definitely don't think it sounds masculine. I'm not sure, but maybe a different spelling would make it more clear - like Emmalynn? Emelynne?

I know an emalyn :) doesn't sound masculine or made up to me.

How about Emma-Lynn (hyphenated first name?) to commemorate your middle name and your mom's name. If not, I think Emma alone is gorgeous too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->