Honest opinions on this boy name

SIEGAL

Pregnant mother of 1
Reaction score
We like the name Etan (maybe spell Eitan) (phonetic ate-on) and middle name Levon.
Etan Levon

I know it's unusual. It's the Israeli version of the name Ethan. Levon was a somewhat popular baby name a few decades ago - it's in the Elton John song I adore. I also wanted a "l" name after a relative.

So please be honest - is it a horrible? Will he be mad at us with that name?

UPDATE:
Thanks ladies. Asked my husband and he doesn't love the middle name so much anyway.
Now I'm thinking Etan Levi - thoughts?

I think the double "un" type sound makes it a bit clunky. I also have a bad habit of reading Levon as the word "leaven", despite loving the sound of Lee von

Neither name is bad if you ask me, they're just not working together. Etan also makes me think Etam, that clothes shop that used to exist. Not a terrible connection though!

I quite like the sound of Etan Levi but I would have never in a million years guessed the pronunciation from the spelling. Your pronunciation, I would have personally expected to be spelt Aeton, like the Greek name. I would have pronounced Etan e-Tan, like Ethan with a "t". I don't know if that's just me of course but you might have to be prepared to spell his name a lot or explain the pronunciation. If that doesn't bother you, I think otherwise it's a great name!

I personally don't care for names that you have to tell people how to pronounce. That will make the child have to tell their teacher every year, every substitute teacher, every friend's parent, etc., how to say their name. I had several friends with unique names and they all hated the attention it brought to them. That said, if you love the name, go with it. That's all the matters at this point. You don't know how your child will react- perhaps he will love the attention.

I personally don't care for names that you have to tell people how to pronounce. That will make the child have to tell their teacher every year, every substitute teacher, every friend's parent, etc., how to say their name. I had several friends with unique names and they all hated the attention it brought to them. That said, if you love the name, go with it. That's all the matters at this point. You don't know how your child will react- perhaps he will love the attention.

Yea. I'm thinking because we live in a Jewish/somewhat Israeli community it won't be that bad. But it is a concern

I quite like the sound of Etan Levi but I would have never in a million years guessed the pronunciation from the spelling. Your pronunciation, I would have personally expected to be spelt Aeton, like the Greek name. I would have pronounced Etan e-Tan, like Ethan with a "t". I don't know if that's just me of course but you might have to be prepared to spell his name a lot or explain the pronunciation. If that doesn't bother you, I think otherwise it's a great name!

You think being spelled Eitan would help? My husband likes that spelling

You think being spelled Eitan would help? My husband likes that spelling

That I would have pronounced correctly (from your description above) but to be honest, I think it doesn't look great. If in doubt, I'd personally stick with the correct (original) spelling, even if it needs explaining. But that's a question of personal taste I guess, lots of people go for alternative spellings these days.

I wouldn't of pronounce Etan correctly if you hadn't added the pronunciation, so for that reason I would personally avoid it

I would have pronounced it "eat-an". It is an interesting name but where I am from, people with the local accent drop h's from words, so he would constantly be called "eat-an" and then that would be interpreted as "Ethan".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->