Hope you dont mind me jumping over from TTC!!!

loulouamy

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I know I may be a tad premature popping over here as im TTC no.1 but I just need to know something. A friend of mine was pregnant last year and she asked me to attend the classes with her, this was fine, Im not afraid of giving birth, I think it is a beautyful and natural thing, its what our bodies are made for but, while I stood in the hospital and listened to the MW I fear utter panic... not about giving birth but doin it in hospital!!! the thought of not being in total control of the experience is freaking me out!!

the thing is im about 40lb over weight due to PSOC, i work hard at losing weight and stick to a healthy diet but I have read that if you BMI is too high you are out of the running for a home birth!!

any plus size ladies have the homebirth they wished for???

My doula had a homebirth against medical advise because of her BMI, and she had to sign a disclaimer, but everything was fine :)

No problem coming here early! With ds2 (ds1 was a hospital birth) I hired my Midwife before I even became pregnant :) I'm TTCing again now and already have the Midwife in mind for another homebirth.

Anyways, 40 lbs isn't that much overweight, so I wouldn't think that your BMI would be that high. Many of my homebirth friends are about the same weight over and have had homebirths.

Thanks Natural Momma, your very well prepared lol, Im kinda the same, Iv been researching birth plans already, OH is giving out, tell me to at least wait till the BFP!!! I just have to be organised ha

It's never too early o be thinking about your choices and your rights!

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/

Excerpt: (the hyperlinks on the actual page are good too, so well worth a look!)

- Large women are more likely to suffer from diabetes and blood pressure problems in pregnancy, which might affect your decision regarding home birth. There is also an increased risk of shoulder dystocia, but it is not clear whether this persists independently if you do not have gestational diabetes. Apart from these issues, though, weight alone should not be the deciding factor. Whatever your weight, you can still make an informed decision to plan a homebirth, as did Rachel, Helen, Genevieve and Carolyn. A wonderful site packed with information on pregnancy for large women is Plus-Size Pregnancy, by KMom. See also this discussion from the US Midwife Archives - 'Is Weight a Contraindication for Home Birth?'.

Another good site (if you do get told "oh you can't have a homebirth because....")

https://www.aims.org.uk/homebirthUpdated.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->