Hoping for a home birth!

mommyof3co

Mommy of 4 amazing boys!
Reaction score
Well we have just found out we are expecting our 4th :happydance: I will be on Medicaid for insurance though and it's looking like I MIGHT not be able to have the home birth I hoped for. From what I'm seeing so far Medicaid covers midwives at hospital and birth center births but not home births. I have contacted one midwife so far and she said she accepts medicaid for her birth center but not at home :( I asked if there are any that do accept medicaid for home birth so waiting to hear back, really hoping that there are some. If not I guess I'll have to go with a birth center which is still better than hospital just not what I wanted :(

This will be my first all natural birth though. Had a vaginal birth with Landon with epidural, emergency c-section with spinal with Casen and VBAC with epidural with Hayden. But water really helps me with pain so that's my plan for now. Also looking into hypnobirthing...what does everyone think of that?

I know there aren't many ladies on the forum from the US but does anyone by chance know for sure if TX medicaid will cover a home birth?

OMG HUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::yipee::yipee::yipee::wohoo:
I'm absolutely over the moon for you! I've been away for a few days and missed this vital information!! Soooooo happy for you and Mark. Wishing you all the best for a happy and healthy next 9 mths.
What a pity about medicaid though, I do hope you get the news that there are some midwives that are covered to do homebirths, but a natural birth in a birth centre will be the next best thing, and often you can have all the options like you would for a homebirth, just not at home.
Off to find your pregnancy journal now! :happydance: Woo! Still can't believe it!

Oh and I am soooo hoping we will be able to afford hypnobirthing classes. Just went to the midwife last week and found out that they don't offer gas and air at homebirths. So my only options for pain relief are hypnobirthing, tens machine and water. :wacko: It's knocked my confidence a bit. I really had in my mind that if I couldn't handle it, I would have gas and air as a back up for when I hit transition and can't do it anymore.

Gosh you've just made my day hun, I sitting here at work grinning like a Cheshire Cat thinking how happy I am for you. :D

Awww thank you!!!!!!!

I don't think we do gas and air anywhere here, not for hospital births I know, but maybe for home or birth centers? I really don't think so though. So my pain relief will be just water. What is a tens machine? I've heard of others talking about them to but don't know what it is.

Is the only way to do hypnobirthing is through classes or are their books and videos you can watch to teach yourself? When I've been in labor with the boys when contractions came I just close my eyes and totally zone out into myself like I can't even hear anyone around me and so people have said that learning hypnobirthing techniques would probably help me even more with that.

a tens has pads you stick on your lower back and it delivered electrical impulses into the nerves which kick starts your body to produce endorphins (the natural pain reliever). Apparently feels like someone flicking your back with a rubber band or something and isn't for everyone.

There are plenty of books and cds out there for hypnobirthing. It's the way we are going to have to go if we find we can't afford the classes. Stats show that all hypnobirthing is effective in reducing a womans need for epidurals, but classes have more effectiveness then cds and books by themselves. I also zoned out with Ella, although my breathing was totally out of control during contractions, so think that hypnobirthing will be really effective for me. I did get to 7cms with absolutely no pain relief last time and am hoping that with the tens and hypnobirthing techniques I'll be able to go all the way.

Hmmm not sure tens would be for me, I can't stand anyone to touch me and I think feeling that might drive me nuts.

I was able to control my breathing really well. With Landon I didn't get the epi until 8cm and at that point didn't NEED it but was scared to get further without it lol. So I got it

With Hayden (Casen was section so doesn't count) I was dying by 2cm BUT I was totally off that whole day, I was sick, plus I think the contractions after section were sooo much worse but I now know what to expect. Plus his birth was very fast so knowing that if it's like that it's probably going very fast and having other ways (like the water) to deal will help

I really do think that hypnobirthing will be great for you. And water will be effective, especially as you already know that water does help to soothe you.

Soooo home birth is out for me :( She said that no one attends home birth for medicaid because there is no way to get adequately reimbursed :( But it's ok, I'm glad I know now, we are going for a birth center instead :)

aww I'm sorry you won't be able to get your homebirth. :hugs: A birth centre is the next best thing. Have you got a midwife that is really supportive to your wish of a natural birth?

Not yet but I have found 2 that sound perfect so as soon as the Medicaid goes through I'm going to meet with both of them and see who we feel more comfortable with

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->