• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

hoping I can do it this time.

Hangin_On_AGS

Reaction score
I really wanted a home birth with my first or at least a natural hospital birth and unfortunately I got neither. I went to the hospital due to baby not moving all day and I had been having contractions every 3 mins since waking up that morning. As soon ad I got to the hospital I was told I needed to lay in bed to be monitored and the pain got to me. They kept me there for 8 hours and I was stalled at 1 cm the ob I didn't like came in and told me baby was stuck and I would be having a c section in the morning. Here started the interventions... First a shot of morphine which only made me sleep between contractions but didn't help. The next morning I had not progressed at all but thankfully my ob came in and was determined to give me my vaginal birth. I than got an epidural and the lowest possible dose of pit and 4 hours later happy healthy vaginal baby.

Long rant short. Even though my ob rocked at making sure I had the least amount of interventions and got my vaginal birth it was still to much. And my husband and I agreed I did more on my own than I did when the nurses or doctor was in the room. I really want to just stay home with my husband and do it on my own. But I'm worried I'm gonna stall again. Any advice?

Second babies can often come out like a train!! I have no reason to think you won't have a wonderful birth experience! I recommend using the hypnobirthing method as your labor guide. The daily affirmations in the book can also help with your nervous feelings, and encourage you to trust your body! :hugs:

I'm sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted with your first :(

Please don't assume it'll happen again this time though, it sounds like an unfortunate chain of events that are unlikely to repeat themselves: baby not moving much, then being monitored and not being allowed to move around which probably hindered labour and stopped you from progressing, and then being given morphine, etc. Fear and stress can be your greatest enemy in labour, and it did sound like a stressful experience, especially since it's the exact opposite of what you'd had your heart set on!

Think positively and rest assured that you body can do this.. You CAN have the natural birth you want. As PP said, second babies can be a lot easier/faster than firsts, so hopefully that'll be the case for you. My second was my easiest and calmest labour/birth; I was induced with my first and third due to medical reasons and I found a spontaneous labour much more relaxed and controlled.

Best of luck, I hope things go to plan this time :flower:

My husband is thankfully very supportive. And if I end up back in the hospital my ob thankfully is very supportive of trying to keep it as natural a possible. He was very good about asking me all the way through what I wanted to do and if I was ok. I don't hold my interventions against him I hold it against the nurses and ob who saw me when I arrived to be checked. I almost want to just stay at home until its to late if I can. Its hard to know right now cause we arnt sure If my husband will be here for the birth and I'm not sure If I could do it at home without him. He was basically my doula he kept me moving he offered all the pain relief methods we went over and kept very calm and kept me calm. I had one midwife tell me just lock yourself in the bathroom and come out when you had the baby your all you need to have the baby. I want to believe that maybe I will look into hypnobirthing

I did hypnobirthing classes and they talked a lot about the role of oxytocin, the 'love' hormone, in labour. Apparently it's responsible for helping your labour progress and can be hampered by adrenaline. Our midwife said that labour can be going really well at home and then stall once you get into hospital because your body reacts to the unfamiliar environment, being poked and prodded by strangers etc. It sounds like this is what happened to you. If you're planning a home birth and think that'll make you feel more relaxed, I'd go for it. The oxytocin will be flowing and I'm sure things will be very different. My own labour started when I was at home cuddling my DH and watching TV in bed - oxytocin central ;)

Second time for me was slot more straight forward and smoother. Plus you'll be relaxed in your environment and active, which will keep things progressing. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->