Horrible thoughts

Mrsmac02

TTC #1
Reaction score
Ladies, help! I'm having such horrid thoughts, day dreams and nightmares all the time.

It's such irrational stuff too. I am on my way home from work and it's a beautiful day and I thought, it would be nice to take DS for a walk down by the river, then I suddenly thought omg what if he fell in, then it just spiralled into me imagining jumping in after him, having to tread water, getting stuck out in the water...

Had a similar one yesterday leaving my mum's house when I heard the bin men coming down the street when I was walking towards the car (in the driveway) and I imagined him running off into the path of the lorry.

I just cannot shake these horrible thoughts and day dreams, they're making me miserable :cry: I just don't know why I'm thinking this way! DS is generally very good, he holds my hand and we always make a thing of stopping at the kerb and looking for cars before we cross etc, just can't understand it :(

I've always managed to think about worst case scenario at most of the time and I've been trying to work on calming myself down. I think being pregnant and hormonal only fuels anxiety cause we get over protective and have that mama bear status.

Do you have any "to go" thing that usually helps calm you down? Like a hobby, book, tv show, essential oil? Personal beliefs or anything that just comforts you?

100% understand! I'm pregnant with #3, and I always get those thoughts more when I'm pregnant and postpartum. I think the best thing to do is remind yourself that they're irrational thoughts. Whenever I realize that I'm having thoughts like that, I literally "ban" myself from pursuing the thought. I think of happy things, like new discoveries that my toddler will make, or the funny things that my son laughs at! I think it's totally normal, but sometimes we need to fight the thoughts that we have. I see our brains as a computer, with tabs that pop up. We have the power to press the X on those tabs. I think it's like building self control in your thoughts! I wish you all the best!! xxx

Absolutely get this. My little girl has been poorly with tonsillitis and the one night we had fever and vomiting. In the morning she was fast asleep and I just had it in my head "what if she doesn't wake up?"
I wouldn't go into her room until I heard her taking to herself!

That's just a component of OCD. Obsessive thoughts and images that come out of an anxious mind. The key to overcoming them is to pay no attention. Allow those thoughts to wash over you without reacting, act as an observer. If you let them scare you then they hold power, if you don't react or care then they loose their hold get it? They are simply thoughts and hold absolutely no truth or relevance what so ever. They become an issue when u give them the power to ;)

I don't have any other children to have those thoughts about, but since getting pregnant and even more now that I'm further along, I have horrible thoughts all the time. I think it's just all the hormones and our brains working overtime?? Like the way we have more lucid dreams now??

Thanks so much ladies for your replies. So glad to have a place to vent :flower:

I usually relax watching boxsets or reading but I don't seem to into much at the moment. I don't think it helps that I'm mega busy at work, trying to sell my flat so we can move to somewhere with a garden and studying for a post-grad all while pregnant and taking care of DS!

I got upset telling hubby about this tonight and he suggested I get this mindfulness app he has on his phone so going to try that as a way to focus on something else X

I could have wrote this myself in on my 3rd pregnancy and slowly for used to it however someone's the thoughts/images really get a grip on me is definitely anxiety ocd related. .. do you suffer with anxiety normally? X

Intrusive thoughts suck balls.

My daughter was hit by a car about a week after turning two, every single night without fail now I have scenarios of my children being run over or kidnapped or any other manor of disaster. It's become worse since being pregnant. Now I imagine dropping the baby and killing it, accidentally drowning her or sitting on her and suffocating her. Stupid stuff really.

i thought i was the only one who had thoughts like that. you are NOT alone!

No not usually jewls! I seems way more sensitive to negative thoughts when I'm pregnant.

Gosh minties, that must've been so scary :hugs:

Sorry you're feeling similar 3babes x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back