Hospital bag for USA

CatherineK

Reaction score
I know I should remember what I need, but I think I'm forgetting something. I've got on my list-

Toiletries bag for me/husband
Phones/iPad/charger
A couple nursing nightgowns
Nursing bra/underwear
Slippers
Lose going home clothes
A couple onsies and a picture outfit and blanket
Boppy
And carseat, of course.

Sound about right? My hospital had 24 hr food and provides all baby needs (diapers, wipes, little tshirts, hats, etc) and pads and such for me. But I keep thinking I'm forgetting something!

Hey! A few days ago ive realized I'm being a slacker and hadn't packed mine, so I started getting things together, goal is to be ready when I hit 38 wks.
What you have is all I took. Threw in a few nursing bras, shirts..... Just a few items for baby for coming home. Really just gathering up all the travel size toiletries was biggest thing for me! Lol.
Video camera, photo camera, iPad and chargers for each, I know you have that listed so I think you should be good!

You'd think id remember better as I was just there 20 months ago! Just need to gather it up now. I try to be ready by 37 weeks (both my sons came at 39) but I'm running out of time :) I like to have it all just in the back of the van so I don't have to think about it when the time comes.

With my first, my bag was ready by 35 wks! Some reason I feel no need to do any of this in a timely manner. So I gave myself a kick in the butt and said I need to be set by 38 wks. We are lucky that our hospitals do give us much of what's neede during our stay, so packing up the bag won't be too bad. Just gather this all together and we will be set :)

Oh, one other thing besides a boppy, I bring one of my own pillows from home too for me. I guess this is just a personal preference, but thought I'd just mention it in case you wanted one of your own too.

Yes! I brought my own favorite pillow too last time...that was what I was forgetting!

Oh good, hope that's everything then :) our due dates are pretty close, look forward to hearing from you until the end!

You would know more than me (first timer here), but my hospital provides a dvd player that you can use if you want a distraction or things are progressing slowly. I might take a movie or two with me.

scrunchies and chapstick were critical for me... also a little bottle of Tylenol because they sometimes take hours to get the order through for just 2 little Tylenols, especially at night (mw suggested this). If you are doing a baby book, pack it for footprints.

I was really happy that I had brought my own pillow! I ended up with a C-Section and was in the hospital for 3 extra days and I said to my husband at least 10 differnt times that I wish I would have prepared a " just incase" bag!

I also packed nursing pads (my boobs leaked SO MUCH for some reason after my first, my milk came in really fast, so I am going to be prepared this time if it happens again!!), and lanolin cream in case I have any soreness/cracking/etc.

Chapstick is a good one, I have it in with toiletries. As for movies, we have out iPads and hospital wifi, so we can watch Netflix or read on kindle, and there is always the hospitals cable...
My hospital has breast pads, but I should dig out my lanolin from last time. I have it somewhere!

Nursing tank tops were a godsend in the beginning. I wore one everyday for like 6 weeks

Ill be stalking this thread as I'm a first time mom and have no idea what to pack!

I say definitely bring your own towel...preferably in a dark color. ;) You really won't need much at all, but some comforts from home such as a pillow, towel, snacks, etc will make you feel better.

Also, I brought my boppy last time I went to the hospital but the nursing staff told me not to use it because it can be awkward with a post partum belly. They just gave me a whole bunch of pillows instead so I really didn't use it.

My Boppy was my a lifesaver last two babies for the first few days...I guess everyone is different :).

As for towels, I'd much rather bleed all over the hospitals towels. They always have plenty. Not the softest in the world, but I'm just happy to not have to so the laundry :)

I didn't use my bobby in the hospital. Bring a camera

My pillow and my CHAPSTICK oh and this time I'll be bringing my own Tylenol. I definitely needed it last time and I was charge around $25 pill!!!

Great post! I'm going in for a C-sec in 9 days and was thinking I should probably start getting my act together and pack a bag.

Last time I really had no clue and didn't even think to use half the stuff I had packed because the hospital provided everything for the baby and most of what I needed for myself.

This time I'm planning to actually use my breast pads (discovered the wonders of them after getting home from the hospital). I've been thinking about bringing nursing bras/camis (to hold the pads) but I'm unsure whether they'll end up just being a huge hassle to wear while I'm connected to IV (which was most of my 4 day stay last time). My hospital provided a small tube of Lansinoh lanolin cream. I did bring a robe and slippers last time, but mostly just used the hospital's gowns (completely agree with whoever said to let the hospital do the laundering of bloody gowns)

Also planning on bringing a white noise maker to hopefully help the baby sleep and of course my Itzbeen - was such a help last time.

I am planning to bring my Boppy. Last time in the hospital it was awkward to use because I was so new to BF'g that I hadn't figured out what worked for me yet. Now that I'm a pro, I think I'll actually find it helpful. I think that using additional pillows under it will get the baby to the right height.

We live about 4 miles from the hospital, so DH will go home daily to change and shower, but I will remind him to pack a little toiletries bag too. (he can easily grab anything we've forgotten too)

I just added some extra hair clips and ties, as my hair kept getting in my way last time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->