Hospital Bag?

Surprised26

Reaction score
I'm been leafing through the sticky post, so forgive me if this is a question that has been asked a thousand times, I just find the 130+pages overwhelming and had a few questions for the moms that have been through this whole process before :)

I'm in the US, and while I see that in the UK packing diapers for baby is the norm, am I correct in assuming that the hospital provides those and formula (If I end up having to go that route) for during our stay after delivery?

And on the diaper note, would packing adult diapers for myself to contain my bloody massacre mess for after be necessary? Or would that be overkill? Would an alternative of black panties and overnight pads do the job instead?

I read somewhere that buying cooling medical packs for the swollen lady bits would be a good idea? thoughts on that?

I want to get things to make my recovery less traumatic, but don't really have the means to get things that aren't going to be used (no real use later for the granny diapers, lol). So if any of you ladies have suggestions of absolute necessities for me to bring (Or just rank your suggestions from "must haves" to "Nice to haves") I would greatly appreciate it :)

Things I'm planning on including:
4 or 5 outfits in assorted sizes for baby (1 or 2 in Newborn, a few in 0-3, Plus my planned take out outfit)

A "go home" outfit for me, plus a dark colored comfy gown/nightie for after delivery (I'm just going to rock the standard issue hospital gown for the labor/ birthing process). Flip-flops for wearing around the hospital.

Change of clothes plus sleep shorts and T for the OH (anything else, he'll have to be responsible for).

Blankets, Car seat with cover, a couple of burp rags, and at least couple of diapers for the trip home (unless otherwise needed).

Do I need bottles and formula just in case?

Id deffo ring up your hospital and check. In the uk most provide milk and if you are silly and forget nappies/diapers they will have them here.

we have maternity pads in the uk. I think the large sanitary pads are just as good. Ive read that lavender oil is also good for girly parts after.

sorry im a uk girl lol. I think the usa girls will no more xx

Hey, I'm in US as well and my hospital has always provided everything: diapers,wipes, hospital grade pads and mesh underwear, formula, tucks pads(for hemorrhoids and cooling/soothing area after delivery), even the first clothing for baby (white hospital shirt, hat, socks, and a blanket.
the formula is usually premixed in individual glass or plastic disposable bottles with individually wrapped sterilized nipples.
at my hospital, you could show up with nothing and they'd have you covered for the first 2-3 days.
id tour your hospital and ask what they provide jic.
my bag:
going home outfit for me, two pair of black yoga pants (jic), two button up shirts for easy bf access, my own travel size shampoo and conditioner (a must have for me as the hospital stuff is crappy on the after labor tangles) travel toothbrushes and toothpaste, a brush and hair ties, comfy socks, dh's sweats and a shirt
baby bag:
I pack a regular diaper bag wth everything I'd normally have in it and keep in the car for the trip home, a separate bag with two comfy and cutsie blankets, a few burp cloths and receiving blankets three 0-3 outfits and three newborn outfits (don't know which she will be able to wear, both my boys wore 0-3 right away)
socks, mittens, and a few hats
good luck!! Remember, anything you forget you can always ask the hospital for or send dh to the closest store to get.

I am from SA, but know our hospital protocol are more or less the same. Just check with your hospital on what you will need (we get a list to pack), but they probably will provide diapers and formula if needed. As for you - heavy flo sanitary pads would be perfect. But if you can then try to get one packet of maternity pads. Don't know your brands, but I use Carriwel.

I'm in PA and yes, I would say the majority of hospitals here provide diapers,wipes,and formula for baby so you wouldn't need to take those with you. As for the massacre, underwear and heavy flow pads should do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->